IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to get my 'new to me' reel spooled up with tufline xp today. according to all the numbers, i should have been able to get almost 200 yards of 65# line on it. alas, it topped out at only 80 yards. (ahhh!!! i've been "marketed) i thought about dropping down to 50# line but decided to go look at the numbers some more.

so anyway, this reel is (hopefully) going to be a big bobber rod setup. rivermill dam, tillamook tidewater and the like. the question is: how much line do you really need on a reel? 200 yards seems like a bit much but 80 yards just ain't gonna cut it.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
What reel is it? It is also possible that they did not give you 65#, but something closer to 80#. My Abu 6501 says it should get about 250-275 yards of 12#. I spooled it up with 50# tuff line and got just over 250 yards on both reels. I also did not have them "completely" fill the reel. You might want to double check the manufacturer's specs on the reel again. I can guarentee you its not the Tuff line if it is in fact 65#. :wink:

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i checked their spool: it was 65# tufline xp, alright. i didn't think i'd get much more on the reel using 50# and thought that 30# or 35# (tufline/power pro) would be too thin and cause a lot of spool digging. i could've sworn they made a size in between 30 and 50, but they don't.

as an aside, does anyone use 30/35# spectra lines for "big bobber" fishing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
depending on were you got it done at. if you look at the line counter when there spooling. it sometimes doesn't read correctly becuase of bouncing and the like. you could very well have more than 80 yds on there. probably not a whole lot more, take it out and see what you got, most likey you will find out it will be enough for your needs.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Originally posted by ampersat:
as an aside, does anyone use 30/35# spectra lines for "big bobber" fishing?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yep. All winter long for steelies. 30#.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hey Amp,
This is just my opinion, but I truly think 80 yards is gonna be plenty. 240 feet and at 65 lbs you can really lean on those salmon without fear of a breakoff. In all the years (45)I have been salmon fishing, I have never had a salmon out further than 50 yards max. When fishing at the Trask or Wilson, especially bobber fishing, you pretty much put the brakes on em and hold em really close to the boat. Personally, if it were me, I'd fish the 80 yards and wouldn't worry in the least. Good Luck :grin:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
What reel is it? I have the tiny Bantam 10 Shimano that Vermin uses(our neice). It holds 140/ 50xp. Could the line counter at the store be off?

The answer to the question(IMHO) is 125-150 yards of 80. That way you can lose a little( which may require cutting the line. Have you ever actually had to bust 80?? Sheesh that's a lotta work!) and still be safe. Much less with a hot nook in a long run with current is flirting with the uglies.

Now it is rare for me to get 100 yards from a fish and land it. But tuff usually requires a backing behind it to prevent slipping. If that gets omitted, and you have 20 yards of line left on the spool, turn out the lights tha party is over.

My 2 cents.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
When was the last time you had a big big big salmon on a bobber set up run 80 yards. nada, nope, never happened to me.

Hook it to a goal post and walk off the 80 yards and see how far that really is.

I have loaded my 6501 with 65# and got 110 yards and it was not full to the brim.

I figure that with 65# power pro and 50# leader I can turn the bugger way short of 80 yards and or hook it up to the pickup and drag it out of the hole. :grin:

If I get that Owner cutting point hook hung in the chops that chromer is going on the tag.

HOOK SETS should be solid WHAMMO FISH ON

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Just my 3 or 4 cents here

Just so I have better confidence in fishing. I like to have at least 100 yards of each given line on the reel am using.
Get what am saying?
:cool:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
How much backing did they put on??? I would take a trip down to the local High School football field when they aren't using it, tie your line around the goal post and start walking it off, you'll know how much is really there and if you have any backing. And by the way, think of a reply in advance if someone see's you doing this they surely will ask "Whats up?" or maybe more like "Suup homey?" Good luck!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
One thing is remember about how much lose will you have over the life of the line. When I drift fish I seem to loose a lot of line due to snags.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just bought two 150yd spools of 30# (8#diam) Power Pro to load up my Shimano 201 Cardiff. Shimano says 230 yds. of 8#. I didn't get one whole spool on my reel. Either 1. Got more Power Pro than I paid for. 2. Had Power Pro understate Diam. or 3. Shimano oversated capicity.

I'm guessing #1...

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the reel is a daiwa millionare cv-z 253a. it's probably better suited as a steelie/silver reel but i already have a steelie reel i'm really happy with. there was no backing on the spool because the arbor is slotted/keyed/whatever so that you can get a good solid tie down to the spool.

i'd agree with the "counter bouncing" opinion as far as how much line got onto the reel. also, the guy didn't pack the line at all so there's a good chance that more line could've been put on it.

i'll also second byteme's view.
1. you do get more than 150 yards on a spool of line. how much more? dunno. it's cheap for them and imagine the backlash in public opinion if some folks got less than 150 yards on a spool that was supposed to have that much line.
2. i'm sure the "power line" folks are comparing their lines to the fattest lines out there for any given pound rating. it's marketing.
3. the reel manufacturers are probably comparing their capacities to the thinnest lines out there. again, it's marketing.
a search of the archives will find plenty of information in support of 2 and 3.

my parting shot as i was leaving the fishing counter was that reel manufacturers should really index their reels based on line diameters and not pound ratings. most line makers will tell you the diameter of their lines right on the package. in most cases, i already know what line i'm going to put on when i buy the reel. it would be nice to know almost exactly home much line i can put on.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Funny you mentioned getting spooled. One of my reels holds 100 yds of 10 lb test. After several trips there was only about 50 yds left. A Steelie needed 51 yds this Wed. :rolleyes: Oops!

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
In my opinion, the line and reel are mis-matched. Drags are too small for repeatedly fighting big chinook. The spool size will hurt you casting ability with that size line on that reel.

I suggest you get an ABU 6500/1 and fill with either 50 or 65lb Tuff. I use the black and white Tuff 50lb and have never broken off a big chinook.

If they did not "pack" the line on the spool it will tend to bury under pressure. Load the line on as tight as you can get it with the drag cranked down.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The bobber rod I probably use the most has an OLD Amb. 5000 on it that I keep spooled with 30 lb Berkley Big Game. It has maybe 80 yrds of line on it. I have never had a problem getting spooled by a fish and I have caught 40 pounders on it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Hey you guys, check out the line diameter's..........I think Tuff and PP people figure an 'old' line diameter for saying their 30lb is same size as 8lb. The newer mono lines are a LOT smaller than what they were 20 year ago, given the same lb test rating.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Crabbait has good advice. I would go with a bigger reel. I like to run 65lb. Powerpro for bobber fishing and it works great.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts