IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had new Dexter easy lube axles put on my boat trailer. Unlike the Bearing Buddy axles that were on there, when you grease the easy lube axles, the grease goes all the way to the back of the bearings, not just the front. Does anyone know how to tell how much grease you should pump into the easy lube bearings? I don't want to pump in too much and risk blowing out a seal, but I don't want to put in too little either.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Not very much. I've got 'em on my PWC trailer, and I watch the seals as I add the grease. If they start to seep water or grease, STOP! If all is well, you should see grease come to the front of the hub (by the zerk) before you blow a seal. At the first hint of this, I'd stop. And don't use them as a substitute for a bearing packer. That will blow a seal for sure. Once the bearings are properly packed, you shouldn't need to add grease very often, unless a seal is leaking or you're using crappy grease that breaks down.
I usually jack the wheel up and spin it while putting grease in. This helps distribute it.

I like mine. Much better than Buddies, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All I know is that they blow seals very easily! Add just a squirt of grease very slowly!!! I've blown the seals a couple of times with hardly any pressure.

The Les Schwab guy said he wouldn't pump them more than every 2000 miles or so. :whazzup: I used to lightly hit my bearing buddies nearly every time I backed into salt water.

PS..... Les Schwab Bearing Pack and new seals for two hubs is $59.99

Good Luck

Hogtide

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Les Schwab Bearing Pack and new seals for two hubs is $59.99
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ouch! Takes me 30-45 min to do mine, and about $5 if you don't count the cost of my fancy-schmancy new bearing packer (which will probably last several lifetimes).
BUT- That $60 looks awful cheap if you're stuck on the side of the road with a fried bearing. I went to K Falls Thurs, Fri, and today, and I saw at least 4 different boat trailers (w/boats) left on the side of the road without hubs on one side. :depressed: That can really put a pinch on your trip.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
As of last Saturday, it costs $147.29 to have Les Schawb come down to the marina and fix them. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing my problem is my boat is heavier than what the trailer is rated for. :mad: Trailer is 2 years old and bearings on both sides were toast. And yes I greased them. :hoboy:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone! Jetsled1, those instructions from Dexter were just what I was looking for. I was surprised to see that the Dexter instructions say to keep pumping until the old grease starts coming out of the zerk fitting; I would have thought that would blow the seals. By-the-way, the grease I bought is Evinrude wheel bearing grease that is made for boat trailers.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
In my poor experience...the seal seems the pop 'before' the grease ever comes out of the proper fitting. Last time I even had double edged seals installed! :depressed:

Maybe I'm just not a good greaser.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bounty Hunter, you sure took the bait on that one! No, I won't really start pumping away until grease starts coming back out the zerk fitting, but that IS what the Dexter EZ lube instructions say to do. Based on what everyone else is saying about blowing seals, I will take it real slow...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts