IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much faith do you have in the weather forcasters? I have very little... These guys were way off for today, and I am certain they will be a bit off for the weeked as well! Just curious!

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
FA,
I was told some time back by a friend that was in college to be a metorologist (sp) that the Portland area was one of the toughest places in the US to perdict the weather. It was because of the combined effects of the proximity to the mountians on one side and the ocean on the other with the gorge in the middle he told me. One deviation from either area and our weather can change very quickly (as soon as every ten minutes) according to him. I do agree with you though, the local weather casters ussally get it wrong. That's why I watch the weather channel or look it up National Weather Service web page.

JK

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I do agree, it's a tough place out here. I always get a kick out of their terms for weather changes too. Some knucklehead geek goes "Rain, changing to showers late in the day.
That like saying "Sun, changing to that hot bright
glaring orb in the sky"!!! I mean, is rain any less WET than showers!!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
what makes me laugh is when they put up thier "ten day forcast". i mean they're lucky to get tomorrow right let alone ten days in the future. i have my own method of weather prediction and its actually quite reliable. i log on to kgw.com weather site and check the satalite in motion, then the doppler in motion, and then i do this secret thing that i have never told any one before and im sure the meterologists are totally unaware of.......i look outside!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have none in weather people. i went to a weather school a few week's ago. the guy there said they dont know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
It's tough to have faith in them when it seems like their forecasts are incorrect about 90% of the time, especially during the fall, winter, and spring!! It's not too hard to predict the summer weather around here when it's usually about 100 degrees.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
FastAction, you hit the nail righ on the head! I was gonna post something to this affect last weekend when I got DUMPED on! That day, the weatherman said there was 30% chance of showers...YEAH RIGHT!
Maybe 30% chance of SUNLIGHT!
I couldn't agree more. I wish I could get paid for being wrong that much!

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Right on, Andy,

They are the only people I know of, (other than politicans) who can flat out lie to your face, every day, and still have a job.

I like the way Jim Bosley used to forcast the weather. He would say if you are planning anything out side today, Have a look out doors. If its real gray and cloudy, make other plans.

Peace, Tom

·
Registered
672 Posts
I was camped out on Sand Island last Saturday. What a storm about 2am! The wind must have hit 50 and it rained a couple of inches. There was a solid foot of water in the Driftboat Sunday morning. I think the wind may have been a Tornado as it had been calm all night and then POW!

Does anyone know how to get the doppler for last Saturday night/Sunday morning for St. Helens?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts