IFish.net banner

How much do you sleep on your boat when on anchor?

• 15 minute cat nap.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • still groggy around 1 hour

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Dazed and confused after 1 hr

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Rip VanWinkle on the boat because I get up early

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • People have actually thought I was in a coma!

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Can't sleep on boat. Too busy catching fish!

Votes: 17 29.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find if the fishing is slow I begin to drift off. Today I think I got about 3 hours of sleep while on the hook.

How about you?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Three hours..... there's no way I can sleep three hours while on the hook.

Cat Naps are allowed so long as there's no snoring. Time limit 30 minutes then it's the other guy's turn to watch the rods. That's the unwritten rule.

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
I come out of coma trying to figure out what is going on at the call, FISH ON!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't sleep so much on the boat but this spring I layed down in the bottom of the canoe and woke up with a pretty intense sunburn, I would guess 2 hours worth.

·
Registered
18,461 Posts
Who's got time to sleep?

Dang, I better get to bed... the Jr League and I are scheduled for a pre-dawn launch in about five hours. :passout:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hey..If I'm fishing by myself, on the anchor....I get the bell out. Sometimes even when I'm not sleeping. Go ahead and laugh, but when you got a bell hangin on your rod, you don't miss anything.

(Click on the pic for a larger image)

Here's a couple of reasons.

1. "A watched pot never boils"

2. Often in the afternoon during summer/fall ...watching your rod means staring into the sun and the sun's reflection off the water. With a bell you can turn your back on the rod, and when it folds...you know it.

I just get a wooden clothespin, drill a hole on the sqeeze end of it, grab a cable tie and connect the clip and the bell. The wooden clothespin won't scratch your rod, and it's easy to unclip in a hurry. I get the bells at the craft store.

Mark

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Getting off work at 7 in the morning from the paper mill at the cow mouth I often take my boat to work then in the a.m. just launch across river and anchor up a hundred yards from where I just finished working all night.
Anchor out, lure out, clicker on and then lights out.
Power nap for at least three hours and I am good until one or so when it is time to get home for a bit more sleep before pulling another twelve hour night-shift.
Fortunately I seldom have fish to process when I get home.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Sleeping on the boat is one reason I only have reels with clickers. Although I do like the bell idea. I've caught a lot of fish sleeping. :D It does depend on who's in the boat and where I'm fishing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I sleep on a regular bases on the boat including spending the night so I don't have to spend 40 bucks hauling the boat to Saint Helens. The bells with clips on them are sold everywhere. They are used fior cat fishing at night. Always used them on Lake Mead in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yep, yep! That's the most relaxing part of being a dope on a rope. Over the years we have caught a very large percentage of fish while at least one of us was resting comfortably. In fact if the day is progressing rather slowly my wife will strongly suggest "Why don't you take a nap, so we can catch a fish" which follows Mark's theory about the watched pot never boils.

Usually it is a case of a light nap, so when the reel starts zinging I am ready for action, but there have been a few times when even though we know what the alarm is signalling there has been some disorientation that is quite comical. :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
One day last summer I had a group of clients booked for summer steelhead at the mouth of the Cow.

They told me they didn't want to start real early. "So you mean you want to start about six?" "No, we were thinking eight."

That put me into a spot, do I go early and anchor up or do I get to sleep in and show up at eight.

Although it was temting I chose getting up early.

On the water at 5. Choose my spot in a line and anchor up. Five minutes later line in the water, ten minutes later, turn on the clicker and then sleeping on the floor.

I few hours later I woke to my name being yeld. "David, David, you've got a fish!!!"

I sprang into action, set the hook, untied my rope and floated out.

Just before I netted her my phone went off in my pocket.

They clients were ready to fish.

Fortunatly they had several oportunities and got a couple to take home.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
Interesting...I never sleep on the boat, but I usually don't get on the water 'till 9:blush:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Clickers are good too, but sometimes the fish may take your lure and swin towards the boat . In fact, lots of wobbler bites are pretty subtle.

I've had guys snoring in my boat that would drown out a clicker!:laugh:

Mark

·
Registered
809 Posts
Everytime I'm alone, for at least an hour maybe more. I use the BL fish alarm so it will wake me.
Late in the morning on Friday I was dozing and heard a big CRASH!! I jumped up and here's a small boat (about 12') crosswise to my bow. It was wedged, current was pushing this boat pretty hard.There was an older gentleman (I should talk) laying in the boat and he was struggling to get up. He stood up and as I asked if he was OK, he reached over the side and pulled in his net. In the net was about a 30 pounder. He said he was fine and I pushed his boat around mine to set him free. He must have been fighting that fish so hard he never saw me.
I offered to set him free in trade for his fish but no deal.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If my wife is mad, and the dog won't let me share his house, the boat can be a great place to sleep...

Orion

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'll dose off every once in awhile while bobber fishing but,....
It Sucks to open up your eyes and see the bobber popping back out of the water,...
"A Bobber Up" isn't a good thing!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I generally get a 1/2 hr to an hour every trip. Getting up way too early, driving 2 hrs a lot times to where we fish and then driving the boat make me pretty tired. Always have at least 1 to 3 other people on the boat to watch rods, plus I set my clicker. Makes the 2 hr drive home a lot easier at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Before I got my cpap, the only time I wasn't sleeping was when I was reeling in a fish. That's why my moniker used to be deepsleeper. I could sleep in the boat with waves breaking over my head, but if someone yelled "fish on" I was immediately awake!!!
,Ed

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sleeping on the boat is one reason I only have reels with clickers. I've caught a lot of fish sleeping. :D It does depend on who's in the boat and where I'm fishing.
Bingo! I try to stay awake and keep an eye on a prawn spinners but kwikfish, wobblers, spinners....it is set the clickers and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Zingggggggggggg!!! Love to wake up to that clicker singing to me. :dance:

Makes the wait between action a whole lot quicker and you rarely have problems setting the hook when you should have waited.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts