IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting here, thinking, wondering, how many types of fish I have actauly taken the time to read and educate myself on. I came up with 8, the 2 newest being Salmon and Steelhead.

Then I also had to take into consideration winter versus summer fishing, then breaking that down into prespawn, spawn and postspan periods-
it can get a bit overwhelming

The reason for all of this is, the amount of unlearning I've had to do, in order to learn and understand steelhead and Salmon

What species have you studied and chased after?

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

I went fishing the other day, and I caught a spiritual experience! The sucker was huge!

Well, I can't say I've "studied" about any one species extensively, but have learned a great deal about many of the trout and char family. I've always been interested in anything that swims with fins and have dabbled at catching most of them from time to time, in fresh or salt water. I've been fortunate live around the country and catch all kinds of cool fish. There is so much to learn, I take it one fishing trip at a time. Hopefully one day when I'm an old fart, I'll know enough to be dangerous.

[ 04-28-2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I got the chance this past weekend to re-learn how to fish for one of my
favorite things ... skunk! We fished for about six hours out of Depoe Bay on
Sunday and only brought home the skunk. I blame my 19 y.o. He put bad ju-ju on
the boat so he didn't have to clean fish and clean the decks after a sucessful trip!
:grin: :rolleyes: :grin: :rolleyes: :grin:

-assAssin-

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I dunno - I never thought about this. More the better though. Finding new feesheries is fun.
Lessee...(kinda chronilogical/life cycle sorta)
Trout
Bass
Carp
Sunfish (various types)
Steelhead
Salmon (all types)
BFB's
Bottom Fish
Billfish
Hmmmmm.... who's missin'? :whazzup:

OH YA..... TUNA! :dance: :bowdown:

What's next? Haven't targeted Sharks yet! :shocked:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Tried that and got such a headache I decided to give up. Just tie on a worm and if it catches something that look ok, I eat it.

Always think about that guy who ate the first crab.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Can't say I've "studied" them, but I've educated myself on these species through time and effort:

Salmon (mainly springers)
Steelhead
Walleye
Largemouth Bass
Rainbow
Brook
Crappie
maybe a few others

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was down on the clack yesterday with a friend and mentioned this post to him, and well, after a long talk, things got even deeper-Not only was it types of fish, but with seasonal changes, winter habbits versus summer, Lakes versus river systems, prespawn, spawn, postspawn-- needsless to say, i think I'm going a little crazy--

K

·
0 Posts
Now I'm on the bottom end of a steep learning curve on tuna and billfish
Walleye
3 species of black bass
Stripers
4 Species Salmon including trolling for sockeye (but no sea slugs, pinks)
Steelhead
Kokanee
Lake Trout (Mackinaw)
Stream Rainbow Trout
Ocean Bottom Fish
Halibut
Black Cod
Octopus
Spot Prawns

1 - 8 of 8 Posts