IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Buddy of mine just bought a boat with twin HPDI’s. Being 2-strokes gave him pause, but his research indicated they are superb motors.

My 9.9 Yammie kicker was dead as a doornail once I got onto the water Friday, (turned out to be a rotted battery cable) so I put 5 hours on the main trolling for salmon. Normally I prefer to NOT put hours on the main like that.... reading this thread makes me wonder why I worry! :)

Tight lines and smooth runnin’ guys.
I certainly don't worry about trolling with my main. I've fished on boats with kickers, but find the constant noise created by kickers annoying. I can barely hear my main while trolling. Burns about 0.3GPH, too, so no big deal.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Two seasons on a 2019 Honda 250 GPS says about 3000 miles at 260 hours. Averaging about 2.68 miles per gallon on a Hewes 24 foot ocean pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
82 hours so far on a 2021 Honda 250. If the tuna fishing were better than it has been there would be more hours on it, but I've only owned it since May. Salmon fishing I don't run the main much, but salmon fishing has been so good that I don't have many hours on the kicker either...

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
2020 Suzuki 300 Hp duoprop (201) and a 2021 Suzuki 25 Hp 3 cylinder kicker (22). Just did my 3rd oil change on the main and a breakin service on the kicker. We have some legs now and have been testing them. I figure for the boat that does 100% salt and goes out every weekend 250 hours is a pretty typical number for a summer of fishing. This mainly because the engine runs all day on a TUNA! trip. And most other trips are at least an hour run each way.

I am curious about the 300 hour service on oil. That seems like a long time. And FWIW it also matters when in the year you change the oil and gearcase oil. I always end the season with a fresh oil change and gearcase oil change. This makes sure you don't have a leaking seal and water left in the gearcase over the winter.
Well, consider a comparison with a car. 300 hours at 100 mph would be 3000 miles, at 70 mph = 2100miles. Seems like a reasonable oil change interval to me.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
‘05 200hpdi with 290hrs on her, half of those are idle…but that was before I bought her🙂

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Well, consider a comparison with a car. 300 hours at 100 mph would be 3000 miles, at 70 mph = 2100miles. Seems like a reasonable oil change interval to me.
You’re off on your mileage by a magnitude of 10, it would be 30,000 miles

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Mercury recommends oil/filter change every 100 hours. I'm guessing long term average for cars is 30-35MPH, which would be 3000-3500 miles for 100 hours. Joe's numbers are off by a factor of 10. But, my outboard hours are mostly at idle, 700RPM. Pretty sure Mercury's recommendations assume their 100 hours are at or near WOT, at least 5000RPM. So at idle, an equal number of engine revolutions would take roughly 700 hours.

It would be nice to have an engine oil monitor on our outboards. Car manufacturers use a variety of algorithms for theirs, but all of them take into account load, not just hours or miles. I was thinking about trailering back to the coast recently. Since I had over 4000 miles since the last oil change, 2200 of which was pulling my boat, I considered having it changed before heading over. But, my oil monitor read 54% oil life. I didn't see how that was possible. I hadn't reset it by mistake, so called the dealer for more advice/insight. The Service Department was entirely unhelpful, the rep said they just go by miles(5000). Obviously, doing so defeats the purpose of having an oil life monitor. I read up on it and decided to not have it changed.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
@ a 100 hrs my oil was looking like it needed changed. I had probably 75% trolling. The trolling hours are fine but IMO this does not extend the oil drain intervals. the motor runs colder and you get more fuel dilution. on my merc 150 4 stroke I change the oil about every 80 hrs.
My new yamaha 25, the oil looks perfectly brand new at 14 hrs. It appears 100 hours on this motor the oil is going to look better than the merc. So I might stretch it past 100 hrs. if the oil still looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Twin 2018 Suzi 300's, 800 hrs. No kicker, probably 25% trolling. No problems. Change oil every 100 hrs, lower unit lube each season, about 300 hrs, use full synthetic.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
My 2003 Honda 225 is somewhere over 800 hrs now. Purchased it with 500. I’m fishing less these days so I’m real close to 100 hours a season. Fluids and filters (including water separator) get changed end of every season or @ 100hrs. I also pull the prop and lube the splines every season after having to cut a stainless prop off an outdrive boat I owned.
Only thing I’ve had to do mechanically is adjust a neutral throttle position switch and I replaced a water pump impeller when I bought the boat because I didn’t know it’s history. It was like new so I tossed it in the dry box.
I also spray it with corrosionX under the cowling when I do the fluid changes.

At 1000 I think I’ll adjust the valves, replace the timing belt, and throw a fuel pump at her for good measure.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts