IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about this again while reading another thread. How many bilge pumps do you have in your boat?
My first 22' fibreglass boat had one automatic with float switch pump fore and and a manual aft. When I was having my sled built I was asked what and where I wanted my bilge pump. I responded "excuse me, you mean bilge pumps!" They installed two manual switched pumps. In two years I have already replaced one.
Each one has a separate switch, but I am thinking of finding a separate 12 vdc source for safety.
What is your opinion with regards to number, flow, location, manual/Auto and circuitry?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've rigged mine like yout first boat. Auto with float switch ahead of engine, manually switched pump at rear.

Since I'm planning on going out on the salt... I went with 1100gph for the auto unit, 500gph for the manual.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gooseman,
Thats a great idea, even a manual 3 way valve plumbed as a selector function would serve as another backup with the washdown system.
You would have to have the hose hooked up and overboard.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Jabsco makes a 12 volt pump called the water puppy that does not need to be submersed (has 4 feet of suction lift). It works as a washdown pump pulling sea water or a spare bilge or both depending on how you plumb it in. Works good for those boats that are difficult to add a 2nd bilge.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Tilla --- If that aircraft carrier of yours ever starts leaking you will need at least a couple of 1000 HP sump pumps. Man, you could empty out the whole NF!

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least I have room for a couple 1000 hp sump pumps as well as room left over for a square dance. (as long as the fiddler can stand on the Merc) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I went with a dual battery set up with a Perko selector switch. Have one automatic & one manual switch bilge pump. The wash down pump can be changed over to a bilge pump by a selector valve if needed.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
For a larger boat you need one per compartment minimum (that's 3 for me). You should also have an emergency crash pump in the engine compartment (on my list for the future).

Those hand bilge pumps (the grey long skinny ones look like a bike pump) are great back ups for a smaller boat. They can really pump a lot of water until you run out of steam. :grin:

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
That's like puttint straw in a 5 gallon bucket Mel.
I have 2 manuals and one automatic. Heck the boat is still floating. speaking of 5 gallon buckets, I always have one on board. Never know when someone with a big head will need a new hat. :grin:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
2 bilge pumps - smaller on the automatic float switch, larger on the manual float switch. I need to put the 2nd one in. Buy the cartridge type for ease of replacement. The Attwood brand sucks in my opinion.

UG

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Tilla,

On my 22', I have two 1100 gph pumps.

One manual and one automatic. I'll get a hint of trouble when the automatic goes on. Beats waiting until there's an inch or two on the deck.

On my boat, the bilge is common so both pumps can pump the boat dry.

I think you need two no matter what. If one fails, you still can stay afloat.

The automatic is a vanilla/chocolate issue. I'll sacrafice the batteries for the boat. Other folks don't like the idea of the pump being able to run down the battery.

Brion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.