IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go over this morning but something came up. There was suppose to be a -1 foot tide @ Newport......but since its my first time clamming there, I wonder how low does it need to be? I was just planning on going underneath the bridge, is that a good spot? I would like to get some nice Gapers but cockles would be OK too. Thanks for any info
Russ

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Russ,

Last year I would go to Agate Beach on les than a -1 foot tide and get my limit of razors and when I was done would go to Newport and easily get a limit of cockles at the big green tank at Embarcadero.

Don't know much about crabbing under the bridge other than that they get them there.

So it is easy to get cockles at the gas tank on a low tide and it doesn't even have to be a minus tide.

Dan

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Russ, a -1 is more than plenty for cockles, and you can also get some gapers at that level, but try to find the gaper holes as far away from the water as possible. Try raking through the grass just west of the crabbing dock pilings. You will be able to find clusters of holes so you can get more than one clam per excavation. The roots of the grass also help to prevent cave-ins.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Go to this link below, you might have to copy and paste it into your browser address bar and hit enter:
June Newport clam and crabbing trip with Pictures

We limited on clams near the bridge at the end of June. There are pictures at that link of our trip to give you an idea. A minus 1 foot tide is excellent for that area. For Gapers, look for quarter size holes and stick your finger in. If you feel the clam pull away or feel suction, there is a clam there. For cockles, I just kicked around the sand near eel grass, and when I felt something hard, it was eiter a clam, stick, empty shell or rock. We got many cockles this way.

Good Luck, and tell us how you did.

SKP

[ 08-13-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts