IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing a 5 day Oregon hunt. Cup of coffee and oatmeal boil in the am and a 2 man Mountain house meal boil in the in the evening.

Will the 3.53 oz 100 grm jet boil cannister last 5 days or should I bring two?

I'm really watching the pack weight.

Thanks.

The website says:
FUEL EFFICIENT

FluxRing yields fuel efficiencies of over 80%, compared with the 30-40% typical of standard stoves and cookware. Bottom line: weight and money savings because a canister of fuel boils twice the volume of water. A single 100-gram Jetpower canister boils 12 liters of water.
but I'd like to hear from someone with experience in the field with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
I packed in two, but didn't use all of one in five days. I'm not sure the capacity of the canisters I use, but they are the bigger ones that won't fit down the inside of the cup. I was using filtered water, so I shut it down as soon as it came to a boil. I did 1 cup in morning and two cups at night. I was at about 4000 ft.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You can't bring extra of everthing and have low pack weight. If you only need one, take one.

Why don't you buy a canister and see how many cups of water you can boil. Put the water in the fridge so it is cold to similate the water in the woods. It won't be a perfect test, but it will be close. If it is close, you better bring two. I bet you have plenty of fuel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
David Long just did a test with the Jetboil and another stove in this month's Eastmans" Hunting Journal. If I'm correct he got 19 cups of water out of 1 canister for the Jet boil.

CR

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I dont know the size, but its the one that fits in the cup. I always bring 2 but have yet to need more than one. For 5 days just heating 3 2 cup pots of water a day 1 full canister will easily make it. I would guess you would only burn 2/3 of it.

If your buddy has a stove also then just bring one. Or if you dont mind reverting back to a campfire you can always take the neoprene off the cup and use it over the fire.

If its not a big deal to not have the stove I wouldnt worry about extra fuel.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chesap. I'm only bringing one. I've got a 30 lb pack without water and I'm looking forward to keeping it light.

John

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Trust no one- prove it to yourself before you go. Plan Plan Plan. Have the courage to follow it.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust no one- prove it to yourself before you go. Plan Plan Plan. Have the courage to follow it.
trust no one? .... so how is living on that island working out for you anyway? Thank goodness for the internet huh :jester:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts