IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you may have read my previous thread about how long they take. Well, I got my meat back. Tonight we had hamburger and I am thinking to myself...man this doesn't taste right. I look at the packages of wrapped meat and they are dated Sept. 7, 2007. I didn't harvest my bull until Spt. 15, 2007. I am super hot to say the least.

I am going to refrain from bad mouthing until I have the whole story but it just doesn't feel right. Are there some regulations regarding when a butcher should stamp meat?

We worked our bottoms off to take care of this meat and I am super fired up right now.

Anyone care to calm me down...this is a reputable butcher and I probably won't sleep well tonight.

Eric

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I guess thats the reason why we Take care of our own all the way to the freezer. I hope things turn out ok for ya, not right in my opinion:noway:.

MD

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
So you may have read my previous thread about how long they take. Well, I got my meat back. Tonight we had hamburger and I am thinking to myself...man this doesn't taste right. I look at the packages of wrapped meat and they are dated Sept. 7, 2007. I didn't harvest my bull until Spt. 15, 2007. I am super hot to say the least.

I am going to refrain from bad mouthing until I have the whole story but it just doesn't feel right. Are there some regulations regarding when a butcher should stamp meat?

We worked our bottoms off to take care of this meat and I am super fired up right now.

Anyone care to calm me down...this is a reputable butcher and I probably won't sleep well tonight.

Eric
Did you confirm with the butcher that you will get YOUR meat back? Some do an exchange. Certainly oughta talk with him about what happened exactly.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They told me I get my meat back. They say "We butcher one at a time" too. I saw them put a tag on my animal with my name on it and gave me the tag back with my meat.

My gut told me to do it myself but I never have and really didn't have the time. Next time I will do it myself...NO MATTER WHAT!

Man, I could cry right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My experience is this: The longer it takes the less chance your getting your animal. I shure everyone is aware that alot of meat processors will combine meats to cut down on time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I think about it the more fired up I get. I am certain they said I would get my meat back. At one point I even called to change my order and he said it was fine because they hadn't cut it up yet.

Eric

I sure hope I am just mad for no reason...Something positive...something positive...It is almost rifle season...I wish the rifle hunters the best of luck....

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Very few butchers will actually ensure that all you get back is your own animal. Some will say they do to make you feel good, when in reality it is getting mixed in with the others. I asked and was assured that I would only get my elk back but it would take a little longer. I said take all the time you need so long as it's mine. I found bullet fragments in the burger and I'm pretty sure my bow didn't have any Nosler Partitions in it....:hoboy:

I've never gone back to that place since.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The only part we used to hire out was the burger grinding and it went to a little store in vernonia who did a pretty good job, but my buddy went and purchased a grinder ,we can get it all done in one long evening usually, its a little extra work but that way you know for sure what you are getting.

MD

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let's see, I take my car in for service and I get back someone else's car...sound OK....NOT! Seems to me there is an implied warranty that you get back what you take in.

My bull was also 466# on the hook. "Heaviest one we have had all year" they said. I paid for 466# of cut and wrap and I get someone elses meat? Sounds like fraud to me.

I really need to quit thinking about this, it is consuming my thoughts tonight.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Yep, we do it all ourselves, cut the steaks, (my Dad used to cut meat years ago) and grind our burger. Pepperoni we farm out, we do our own burger jerky.

We spent maybe 9 hours to process 3 deer completely.

Sorry to hear you may have gotten somebodyelses meat.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
I fear the Butcher ,they don`t do a complete job ,and I have heard some of them pinch your meat ( keep the good parts ,oh ok steal it ) ,I have used one ,and I had to use one in Montana ,cause it got hot and I had no place to keep it cool ,I still have some meat I have to finish up from my hunt ,I will take my stuff to grind at my favorite one in Oregon City ,or I may buy a grinder :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the butcher assured me that I have my meat. I questioned him on the date situation and he said they don't use the day of the month stamp. I am baffled because the package clearly says 9-07-2007.

Oh well, I will chalk it up to experience and do it myself next time then there are no excuses. Since the butcher has assured me that it is my meat and I don't think it is worth the trouble of a DNA test I will not bad mouth them in any way.

Thanks for sharing my rant last night and I appologize to all iFishers for the negative post. I need to learn to control that pent up anger that I apparently have.

Eric

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
You have nothing to apologize about this has been a informative post and a educational tool.:cheers:

Well, the butcher assured me that I have my meat. I questioned him on the date situation and he said they don't use the day of the month stamp. I am baffled because the package clearly says 9-07-2007.

Oh well, I will chalk it up to experience and do it myself next time then there are no excuses. Since the butcher has assured me that it is my meat and I don't think it is worth the trouble of a DNA test I will not bad mouth them in any way.

Thanks for sharing my rant last night and I appologize to all iFishers for the negative post. I need to learn to control that pent up anger that I apparently have.

Eric

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I do it myself and have done so all except for one year with all my animals. That one was a buck that was sooooo stinky I was literally gagging when I skinned it. I had it ground up into burger and if I didn't get my deer back I was 100% OK with that :)

If I get a bear though I am going to have a butcher do it into pepperoni sticks for me but it is going to be the same butcher that did my friends. The only reason I am going to have that butcher do it is because I have never been able to get my pepperoni sticks to turn out like the ones my friend got back from his butcher. If I don't get pepperoni sticks with my bear in it 100% I am OK with that so long as they taste as good as the ones my friend got.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I do it myself and have done so all except for one year with all my animals. That one was a buck that was sooooo stinky I was literally gagging when I skinned it. I had it ground up into burger and if I didn't get my deer back I was 100% OK with that :)

Maybe Bullhunter got your buck........:grin:

Just kidding, that really sucks. I took some nice clean, boned and trimmed meat in for pepperoni one time and I got back pepperoni with bone chips all through it. You really just never know until you try a place, or get really good reccommendations on one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts