IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some advice I found on this board this year and modified the way I rig my Kwikfish hooks and it paid off big time. :bowdown: So I want to know how all you salmon and steelhead gurus modify the hook setup on your wart type plugs. I have heard that some people remove one of the hooks, adding some split rings or a beadchain. In the past I have had trouble when trolling for steelhead with my strike to hook up ratio so I know there is a better way to do it. :shrug:

I think it would be helpful for everyone to know how successful anglers modify their plugs to catch more fish and why you think it works. Pics would be helpfull too!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
5-Cent, I usually just change out the stock hooks and replace them w/ owner cutting points. sometimes I will take all the hooks off and run a split ring off the belly eye and put a small bead chain with 4 beads then I attach a Gamakatsu siwash they both work well. I'm no expert so someone else has probably has a better way just my $0.02 I will try and geat a picture posted Good Luck Ross

[ 06-23-2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I take both hooks off, and leave the split ring on the belly, then a #7 barrel swivel, then the second split ring, and to the second split ring is attached a #2 Owners Treble hook. This is for the standard size Warts or Brad's Wigglers. The landing ratio will go way up w/ this set-up. :wink:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I remove both hooks and the split ring on the back. To the belly ring I add a 4 bead beadchain and a 1/0 or 2/0 Siwash.

You dont miss too many strikes with a single Siwash and your hook to land ratio will increase greatly.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Originally posted by Teamfish:
I take both hooks off! For some reason I just can't hook-up! Just my 0.02!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">ROFLMAO!!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
5-Cents, You have posted some great close up photos of things such as how to rig a squid for sturgeon. Could you post some close ups of your Kwikfish modifications, and hopefully someone will also post close up photos of the wiggle wart modification. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
5-Cents this is how I do mine,

hope this helps i use size 6 treble hooks and 1/0 siwash

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Good topic. I got into changing my hooks and rigs on my plugs for steelies and my pound down to land down ratio went way up. This winter I am working on a theory that will hopefully increase my pound down rate.
Thanks for bringing this up! :wink:

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
The setups willierower and quickfisher describe are the best way to rig hooks. I prefer the siwash hook due to the fact that steelhead and coho have to be released if they are wild. The siwash makes this easier and I think is less stressful on the fish, besides treble hooks tend to work against each other sometime so the fish can work them loose. :cheers:

[ 06-23-2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: steelheadslayer ]

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
Quick Fisher's Warts are right. But in shallow water, when the plug is digging into the bottom, they snag fairly easy.

And if the hooks are Owners, they are tough to sharpen up again. In shallow water, I use another plug entirely. But when I pull warts, the bead chain is the real deal.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone :cheers:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
drhall99,

I'm back, but won't be posting very often. I took a long break, and kinda liked being away. So I'm going to just lurk mostly, Thanks for the welcome back it's nice to hear. :smile:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
QF, I like the way you rig those warts. Good plug colors. Usually i just change out the stock treble hooks and replace them w/ owners. Then and add some shrimp scent, and get the net ready :grin:

[ 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Drachir,

I hope you don't lurk too much. You have alot of information locked in your head :shocked: :wink: . Your email link is still shut off. Email me when you have a moment.

Thanks,
D.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
:rolleyes: When the time gets closer Shane i'll splain it to you again... (dump the bead chain) troll fast and follow MrDorkfish :tongue:
:laugh:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
MrDorkfish, What is your landing % with your setup 90-95 %?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Quick Fisher, what do you mean?? Last year there were no lost fish...just one released. I remove the belly hook...add a slightly larger treble than stock to the buttocks. My drag is probably a wee bit tighter when trolling for these guys than others...the hook gets set by itself..i adjust after it's hooked. If my rod goes down....fish on ! :shocked: :grin: People lose fish??? :whazzup:

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 06-27-2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
MrDorkfish thanks for the tip, i will try that setup and see if it will bring 90-95% in the boat to 100%. Also, my rule is a takedown is a lost fish when running plugs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts