IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been catching these lately but havn't any idea on how to prepare them! I would like to bring one home but won't until I learn how to take care of it correctly. Please help!

Thanks,
Full Freezer

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Hopefully you arent keeping any until they re open for retention, It closed for retention as of 10/31/03.

As far as fileting just cut the spines off the out side and all the skin and filet as you would any other fish. Even without bone it's easy to feel where to cut. No need to gut them. Once you have your filet in hand cut off all the meat which is not pure white. Don't leave any pink or brown meat.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good job catching Sturgeon lately. Too bad you won't be able to keep any more sturgon for the rest of the year in the CR or Willamette. The season closed Oct. 31st. I havn't fished for gators for a while. But it is fun to catch and release anyhow.

I bet you will get many different ways to clean Sturgeon from many different people.

I personally Cut off the fins.Cut off the Scutes (diamond shaped pointy spikes along the sides, top and under side). Cut skin around the head and tail. Then I take a pair of channel locks or vice grips and pull the skin off from the head down to the tail. (Both Sides) Then I run my fliet knife from the head down to the tail next to the spinal cord (DO NOT CUT THE CORD) Then run the knife from the head twards the tail along the somach cavity. After you get your 2 filets trim off all the red/brown meat that was along the skin.

This probally isn't the best way but that is how I do it. I have seen many other people do it many different ways.

Good Luck - Finz

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I havn't kept any cause I didn't know exactly what to do with them. And yes, I know I now must wait. That is why I want to be prepared for next season.

Questions: Do I run my knife along the spinal cord visualy, looking at the cord as not to puncture it? Or just run it along like I would filet a salmon along the spine without looking?

Do I cut through the skin at the top & bottom of the fish from front to back before pealing the skin of with visegrips to get two sheets of skin?

Thank You!
Full freezer

·
Registered
371 Posts
i clean my the same way cut the scales off the back and slice above the billy scales just deep enough to only cut the skin and then work the tail and head staying above the fins and then peel the skin off, and lay the fillet down the spinal cord and finish it off in the house by cutting away anything that is not white. no mess this way with the guts and what not but member you wanna cut around the fins as you will not peel them off with a pair of channel locks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Check out the Sportsman Show in February.

Gene from Tackle Time Charters always does a sturgeon cleaning demo during the show.

Boy, does he make it look easy!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Full Freezer,

Something nobody mentioned yet...Always bleed your sturgeon before leaving the river! The great link provided by Jocose on how to fillet shows an example of why you want to ensure you don't forget this little step. Also, don't be surprised if you find them still kicking several hours after being caught.

Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with the need to bleed,much less mess and clearer meat.But tell me again why do you pull the chord out?I don't see the point.And I don't realy see why you would pull the skin like that,if you remove the diamonds from the side working tail to head with sharp knife, then fillet with the skin still attached you can easly remove it with a sharp fillet blade.Just lay it flat skin down start at the narrow end and run the blade up the length of fillet just above the skin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
here is how i have done it. If you have somewere to hang your fish, hang it over a bucket. This will leave alot less mess than doing it on the ground or counter.

-Do not gut a sturgeon.

-Filet the spikes off of the back of the fish.

-Cut fins off to make your upcoming job a little easier. You don't have to cut them deep.

-Make a small cut on each side of the belly were the white meets the grayish sides, cutting down from the tail to the head and just up and over the fins.

-Make a small incision around the tail, just the two side piecs of skin.

-make a thin filet of the skin by the tail. just an inch or two down. Just the skin.

-You should now be able to skin the fish very easily, being able to use your weight. Don't just yank though, could cause you to tear the meat. If you have to use a knife.

-You should now be able to see the two sides with all that meat. Just work slowly from the tail down and cut away the meat from the body, carefully not to cut into the belly.

-After meat is off of the fish clean up your two filets by cutting off the fat and discolored spots.

-Discard of rest.

Pretty easy when you actually do it and clean way. And yes, i bleed my fish. You can also check the gut after words, who knows, you might find some good bait for next trip.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I run my knife visualy along spinal cord being careful not to puncuture it.

I forgot to mention that I run a cut down the top center of the fish where you cut the scutes off and also cut the skin along the belly where you cut the scutes off. Then cut from the top of the head where you cut the scutes off along the head like where you would cut a salmon head off ( Don't cut much below the skin into the meat if possible) That gives you 2 pcs of Skin with the belly still having the skin attached.

When you start to pull the skin off,becareful when you start to pull that you don't rip the meat. Just grab the skin as close to the outer surface as possible.

After you haved skined the sturgeon then start cutting deeper to get your filets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts