IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was doing it wright, but the last two hens I caught had quit a bit of blood in the eggs. Is it because I usually tie them off the back of the boat, this time I was bank fishing and bled them and laid them on the bank. ????????

·
Registered
86 Posts
Best method is to whack the fish to stun it, not kill it and then make a cut on the gills.

The idea here is to start the bleeding when the fish is still alive so the heart pumps out most of the blood.

Not only helps the eggs but has major impact on the meat.

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
someone tried to tell me once that fish blood doesn't clot.

i open the mouth and cut all the way through the center gill strip about two rows back from the front. then i'll tie them up in a decent current. it doesn't have to be really fast but you want the water to wash away the blood as it continues to come out. if you don't, the blood will clot and the fish won't bleed out fully.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Whack the fish once, cut out the gills.
In AK during silver season we would stun the fish, put it on a stringer and jab a knife between the pec fins. That would punch the heart and it would bleed well.
I switched back to the gill cutting though because the fish would bleed well but some of the blood still stayed inside.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I LIKE TO FIRE UP THE 12 INCH CHAIN SAW AND WACK OFF IT'S HEAD-----NOT REALY. :shocked:
I after landing the fish take about 2 foot of nylon and loop around the tail and hang up side down and than stick it where the gills on the under side come together. The blood poors out of them and hardly any flooping around, the eggs have no blood in them, and I leave them for a good 15 to 20 minutes.------RIVER-RAT.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I open up the fishes mouth and cut a gill rake on each side, throw it in the cooler and you are good to go.
Makes for a mess in the cooler, but the eggs/meat turns out SO much better!
Always bleed yor fish!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have been doing the gill cuts and the such but guess I should of put them in the water or hung um.I know I have never had blood in the eggs when I bled them and tie the fish off the back. I wonder should I chuck the eggs I have cured??????

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I used to sever where the gills connect to the roof of the mouth. I now rake perpendicular across the gills on both sides. Seems to bleed more that way. I've never put fish in the water, just in the box. Would like to do a taste test some day and bleed, gut and ice a fish asap vs. bleed and chuck it in the box.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
BackBouncer --- Please chuck them my way. :grin: I don't think a knife is necessary to bleed a fish. After stunning, just stick a finger into a gill on each side and pop it out. It is a manly thing to do. You will feel good about it after the spraying stops.

[ 10-18-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
one tip i heard was to use the back of a spoon to push the blood out of the veins along the skein. it would work fine fresh but i don't know about eggs that have sat for a while. don't throw 'em out though. with the right combo of scents and color, they'll catch fish.

G

·
Smack them on the head and rip the gills in half with your finger. Put them head down in a bucket for about 5 minutes. Gut and gill then wash off and ice down well.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
Stick knife through gill plate into gills when fish is netted being careful not to cut mesh. Let fish bleed out while still in the net. Remove net from water when fish is bled.

·
Registered
320 Posts
here's one more for you. don't do anything with the gills. just slip your knife in behind the last gill with the blade edge facing towards the spine. make one slit across/against the backbone, where that huge bloodline is. get ready for major blood flow, because this is the way to go. sometimes you barely even have to knick it and blood flows freely.

[ 10-19-2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: onebadfish ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts