IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to a large retailer that I always go to so I could pick up some more BUZZ BOMBERS to repalce the ones I lost yesterday.I told them about the fish I caught and fist thing out of there mouths was were did you snag it? Well I went balistic after a five minute ear full
I leaft and will never return. I think that its wrong to compare me with some LOW LIFE SCUM NON SPORTSMAN
just because I caught a fish on a Buzz Bomber.They may very well be used by snagers but arnt hand guns used by robbers? As you can tell I'm <furious> and will be writing the corp office of this so called Sportsmans Paridise,Thanks for letting me vent I feel better. :mad:

[ 10-17-2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: skein ]

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I hestitate to even stick my bald head in on this one. I know fish do bite Buzz Bombs, I have an old fishin buddy who caught more fish on the 2" Buzz Bombs than most people will ever see.

BUT, A BIG BUT, they are tainted.

I was fishing tidewater in a very popular bobber spot this week and two guys were jigging a very similar weighted jig, one guy with me wrote down their boat numbers to turn them in for snagging, this was before we'd seen them hook anything, I just kept quiet (no really) well, right on que the guy hooks a 25# hen fair in the mouth.

It can happen, but I agree that the store that sells them is WAY out of line and those knotheads working there need "Benny Slapped".

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The worst part of this is I have been taught right from wrong and when in dought I ask question.When I fish this Lure I keep my rod tip down and use a slow crank NO JANKING, JERKING, or PULLING. And it works.The thing I'm wondering is have we taken the snaging issue to the extrem? I have always been a bait and flobber fisher and had little experiance with hardware,but after yesterday I'm thinking about spoons Blue Foxs and Cleios, I'm woundering how many Rookies like myself will miss out on some exciting fishing for fear of being called a youknow what? Please dont misunderstand me I HATE SNAGGERS AND THINK THEY SHOULD BE DELT WITH SEVERLY but I realy get rattled when the tools I want to use legitiamltly? are use by the SNAGGERS and I'm force to indure or change. :mad:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Don't let one Dork ruin things for you. You might want to contact the manager of the establishment, and explain why his business won't see any more of your money.

Grits, you have the right idea. I can get you contact info for Sportsmans Warehous Corporate offices if necessary.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Unfortunatly "Buzz Bombers" and Corky Fisherman get a bad rap. There ARE people out there "taking advantage" of the situation, a.k.a. lowlife snagger scum. That being said I've seen days when BOTH worked so well there is no mistaking that a person should be aware of these methods. Anyone who has ever jigged for Kokanee can testify as to the effectiveness of a properly fished Buzz Bomb, Kastmaster, Krocidile or even Little Cleo. (smallmouth NEVER bite the latter! :wink: )

In my perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about the lowlife scum.....they'd all be picking up trash somewhere......COLD!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was fishing tidewater in a very popular bobber spot this week and two guys were jigging a very similar weighted jig, one guy with me wrote down their boat numbers to turn them in for snagging, this was before we'd seen them hook anything ,
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">BEFORE they'd even hooked a fish, your friend was preparing to turn them in for snagging? :hoboy: Hey, no offense, but it sounds like your friend desperately needs to get a life! :rolleyes: This just exemplifies the current "I'm the only guy not snagging" attitude that's taken over lately. How about we actually observe illegal activity before calling in the S.W.A.T. team? Maybe then law enforcement will take the real problems more seriously? I think there's an old adage about a boy and a wolf that might apply here?

[ 10-18-2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Bubzilla ]

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
While I am against snagging and think the t shirt idea is great, it seems like the "anti snagging" thing is getting a bit out of hand lately. Dont get me wrong, if I see it I will mention it to the person about that gamie I passed hiding in the bushes etc. etc but lighten up just a touch. If someone were to say any of this to me while i was fishing i definately will tell them where they can go and mention that I will be more than happy to help them get there.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
There's a lot of ignorant people out there.

Let them do their accusing all they want - ignore them... long as you arent' a snagger, your fishing technique will speak for itself.

StinkyH

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I remember the time I was up in Canada flyfishing for pinks off the beach and this guy steps up next to me with a spinning rod and a buzz bomb. Oh, man, I thought, snagger city, and I'm gonna jump him the first time he foul hooks one. But...

The guy was a master. He handled that BB with the delicacy of a diamond cutter and hooked fish after fish with NONE snagged. Never saw anyone better before or since, but he was good and working it right.

I have some in my tackle box, and use 'em when the conditions are right. But I understand the stigma and am exceptionally careful not to jerk or yank.

Skein

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Congradulations Bubzilla,

You got the point of my example all by yourself.

The reason I gave the example was to show that it can be a legit way to catch fish, unfortunately, the other guy in the boat belly hooked a fish 10 minutes later. And yes, it was released. So in 10 minutes span, my point was made first by the fair hooked fish, and a glance at my friend, and 10 minutes later, his point was made.

These lures do catch fish that bite, they are a lure that induces a strike when they flutter down, in order to get them to flutter down, you must pump them up. In the best scenarios, you are going to foul hook some fish when using these types of jigs. A tap on the way down is a good thing, a sudden stop on the way up is a bad thing.

It is so unpopular now, I've just quit using them, but my point is, they are legit, and also have a very bad wrap.

I still use shiny hardware when water is off color and fish are moving with good success.

Peace

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
ya know, i'm getting a little tired of all the snagger accusations flying these days. this fall there have been people saying that all spinner fishers are snaggers and that silvers won't bite 'em. then there are accusations of the short leader drifters snagging and the long leader drifters flossing. as much as i dislike actual snaggers i'm getting to really dislike the folks that are so quick to judge a technique or piece of tackle as snagger tools.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Originally posted by ampersat:
ya know, i'm getting a little tired of all the snagger accusations flying these days. this fall there have been people saying that all spinner fishers are snaggers and that silvers won't bite 'em. then there are accusations of the short leader drifters snagging and the long leader drifters flossing. as much as i dislike actual snaggers i'm getting to really dislike the folks that are so quick to judge a technique or piece of tackle as snagger tools.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">These people are ignorant fools as far as I see it.

StinkyH

·
Registered
62 Posts
My son and I were fishing a spot on the trask this weekend there were about ten guys there. my son was side driftng a corkie and a shrimp tail. there were two fellows that looked to me to be kinda watching everyone fish, my son fishing well below me jerked and the one fellow beside me starts up that the punk down the river is snagging. I made it quit clear to the two of them that my son is not a snagger, and if he for some reason jerks it is he belives he's getting a bite. my son heard the comotion and came up to where we were. he was of course upset. luckly the two patrollers went on about their task somewhere else. I don't know if they were I fishers and really don't care. the judgers better make sure they are sure of what they are callin folks. that kind of stuff just isn't right.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Ampersat,
I've said many times that there isn't a technique out there that won't snag a fish. That being said, there isn't a technique that won't fair hook one either ('cept maybe a bare trebble with a chunk of lead melted onto it). The ethical fishermen use what is best suited for the conditions. If you want to snag fish then you can figure out a way. I agree with you completely.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use Buss Bombs when fishing for Kokanee and very few are snaged. If you fish very much your going to snag a fish, I does not matter what method you use, fly's, corkies, bobbers, jigs, spinners. The problem is the intentional snagger, and it looks like that's being addressed here and on the stream bank.

Aufish101

·
Registered
294 Posts
There have been two different times on this board when I have been questioned about using spinners and corkies. Well guess what folks, I'm not a snagger and yes I do use "snagger tools" Being questioned makes me not want to put messages up when I have had a good day out. Which in the end makes this board useless if people don't want to put messages up or offer their experience.

I try not to get mad about it. I have to remind myself that it really doesn't matter what some knob thinks of the gear that I use. What matters is that I know I fish with integrity, and that my freezer has fish in it. And if you think that spinners, corkies and buzz bombs only snag fish, well then you probably don't know how to use these tools properly. I think it's something like 'judgement prior to investigation' or something like that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't even imagine this. For an employee to accuse a customer of engaging in illegal activities is beyond my wildest imagination.

One thing about Sportsman's Warehouse - they have some real winners working there :mad:

John

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well for whats its worth, I have caught lots of fish on buzz bombs and spinners and never were any of the fish foul hooked. Yes I know it can happen and that people use the lures as there tool of choice to snag. I know there is a lot of jealousy out there too. For whats its worth.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts