IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I can\'t catch a Springer?

I try and try and try some more, but I have only gotten one wild fish. We've made many of trips and are still unsuccesfull. Let me know what I'm doing wrong here, Please?

Sellwood:
I use anywhere from an 18" to 36" with either a #2 or #4 cannon ball on a spreader with a Fish Flash
I use about 4' to 5' somtime 6' leaders. I try to tie my hooks to the size of the Herring being used. Herring sizes used are mostly Green Label. Somtimes Blue (Plug cut).

We normally fish right under or slightly above Sellwood bridge.

When I put it all in the water I will let out line till I feel the lead hit bottom. I then reel up 4 or 5 cranks set the bait clicker and put the rod in the holder. Fishing around 18' to 25' of water.

Well, what do you all think I'm doing wrong? I hope I did'nt confuse anyone to much.

Thanks
CM

[ 04-12-2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Corkie Monster ]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Re: How come I can\'t catch a Springer?

Try to not reel up so many cranks( 3 or 4 cranks is 7 feet on a 6500). Many bites this season have come with the bait real close to the bottom, but some days it doesn't matter. I have pretty good success in that area by simply making sure I touch bottom once and awhile.

You also might want to think about ditching the fish flash. With the water still clearing up, the visibility has improved over the last few days, and I've put mine away.

Oh yeah, there are other spots than Selwood that produce fish that you can get to with your drifter,but most importantly keep on fishing !

Hope this helps,
Chris :cool:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts

I learned an important lesson this year. Human scent repels fish. I started washing my hands with hunters no scent soap, I wash my plugs and leader, hooks everything before I wrap them everytime I use one. Made a differnce with sturegon too.

I don't know how this would work using bait but I bet it can't hurt.

Try reeling up 1 or 2 cranks instead of 4 or 5 see what happen.

just my 2 cents. Fish bite wet hooks. Keep trying. Good luck

Small Fry

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

Corkie Monster,

I've been lucky last couple days so I'm feeling cocky enough to start giving tips <grin>.

I'd second FWF1's advice about losing the flasher. All the one's I've gotten have been plain bait, two on cut plug herring and one of plain prawn.

I didn't use any scent but I do wash my hands before touching the bait. I keep a pack of those Lemon Wipes for cleaning my hands.

FWF1's bottom advice also sounds good. I got one back bouncing a prawn so I was right on the bottom. I got one tonight by going to the bottom and then up a couple cranks, about 4 ft.

On the rig, I used to use a spreader etc. but all the guides I fish with keep it real plain. Not much hardware. So I've cut back to. I use one of those sliding weight gizmos. Terminate with a swivel snaplock. I have a bead chain on the leader line.

This is advice from a real rookie so take it for what it's worth.

Brion

·
Registered
8,038 Posts

We've made many of trips and are still unsuccesfull.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You should have started fishing for them this week instead of a month ago before the peak of the run.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've held my mouth in just about every position possible. Hey thanks everyone. It sounds like I was almost doing everything right. Now with that Wild Springer I got, I was using a Herring wraped K-15 and trolling it with a #2 cannon ball. Is that a rare catch? I've been told so, But hey, I got one though. Well, we will be back at it early tomarrow. Same place, but armed with new knowledge. This time we're trying some prawn spinners as well.

A big thanks
CM

·
Registered
177 Posts

There is a reason that no one uses their rod holders down there...it's so they can feel the bottom. I haven't seen alot of people catch fish on that shelf with their rods in the holders. Not saying it cant be done, I just think you have to bring your bait up to high to be effective, if you are fishing that tight to the bottom with holders you will be snagging all the time.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

I've got about 90 hrs, pfffttt! :mad: Nada. No Springer. :mad: Always too far in, too far out, too early, too late, too deep, too shallow, shoulda been here yesterday. :mad:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I hear ya Tilla, Lately I can't even catch a Steelie. I got the funky Skunk. :shrug: I thought about giving it all up, But what would I do with all my time in the winter, Start skiing again?

CM

·
Registered
499 Posts

The Sellwood is always a faithful producer for me. It sounds like you need to get your bait on the bottom. Make the dropper line 14" to 18". Use a 4oz. weight to keep your cut plug under the boat. Long lineing above the bridge will insure a hookup with other boats. Go back to basics. Get rid of the fish flash for awhile. Just straight cut plug works just fine. Keep the bait leader at 5 ft in length. Let your line out slowly till you hit the bottom. Keep your thumb on the reel to stop the line. Back bounce it till you can feel the weight hit each time you lift the rod. If your trolling motor will hold in one spot then great. Hold just in front of the bridge in 18ft of water. This is one of the shelves where the water goes from 25ft up to 18ft. If your motor won't hold then move as slowly as possible up the shelf toward the "Point" as it's called whild foreward bouncing your bait. This same set up will work with a Prawn or Herring. The main thing to remember here is to keep your bait on the bottom. With such a long dropper line and then reeling up two or three times I believe your taking your bait out of the strike zone. Also if you keep your rod in hand and bounce your bait it will be more effective. Just what works for me. I will be in a Green/Silver Alumaweld Sea Dory. Give a hollar if you see me. I'm more than happy to show you some spots. SPACE FISH

·
Registered
4 Posts

I don"t get to fish alot cause I work way to much. I read all the replys and agree with all of them , especially David Johnson reply .When you start fishing early the fish arn"t in heavy. A friend of mine forced me to the willamete yesterday ,my first trip, and we were talking to a guy who had fished 80 hour before his first fish. I got my first in one hour., back bouncing prawns. Second fish I back bounced a huge glob of eggs,my friend gives me a hard time for using bait that no one uses. That fish ran in the 20# range. Third fish hit prawns again. We got all fish in the 13 to 18 foot river range. Our drop sinker was always tapping bottom. And we tried 3 different spots. I pride my abilities to back bounce and have never got one when I"m not hitting bottom. You might loose gear but its always worth a fish. Also you have to have a good spin or roll with prawns or herring..I want to point out I"m not a expert but I do get into alot of fish. P.S Willamette has been pretty hot latly. Good luck and keep the boat moving. Don

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

Nice job with all the great information. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to try out some of the tips.

Krue

·
Registered
3,505 Posts

You need to anchor next to me, works for almost all the other boats they catch while I watch. :shrug:

·
Registered
10,841 Posts

We need to find out where fish_on is anchored on the 19th during the flotilla? :grin: and test out the "everyone anchored next to me catches fish while I watch" theory :laugh:

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
209 Posts

Not sure about your techinque in a certain river. A valuable investment would be to fish with a guide. The day after your guided trip, go out there and apply everything you learned on your own. This is a solid way to getting on the road to more "hook up's"

·
Registered
209 Posts

I know each time I hit the river it must set me back at least min. 50 bucks. Gas truck, gas boat, bait, launch, tackle and lunch. Three days alone ='s trip with guide!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts

I know each time I hit the river it must set me back at least min. 50 bucks. Gas truck, gas boat, bait, launch, tackle and lunch. Three days alone ='s trip with guide!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts