IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I`m not the only ifisher that is a M`s fan, I say its time to start a thread now that we`re heading down the strech. I for one am a long time, big time fan, that is so happy to see these guys finally putting up a fight for the division...............................
So here`s a topic......... Richie Sexson, whaddya think?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Can't wait for the season to be over with so I can have my Sports talk radio station back!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Phil......Beltre needs to go?? What have you been smoking? He leads the team in Home Runs, and RBI's, has a great glove at third base, is above average for the league in all categories, but he needs to head for the door?? Ok........and who would you suggest they replace him with? Play Willie full time at 3rd? Sure, he has been hitting better this year than in years past, but come on......

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Phil......Beltre needs to go?? What have you been smoking? He leads the team in Home Runs, and RBI's, has a great glove at third base, is above average for the league in all categories, but he needs to head for the door?? Ok........and who would you suggest they replace him with? Play Willie full time at 3rd? Sure, he has been hitting better this year than in years past, but come on......
Calm down cimfl...he said, "And if Beltre didn't have this latest bit of success, I would have suggested he head for the door, too.

I agree that Sexson hasn't been putting up the numbers that he is getting paid to do.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Calm down cimfl...he said, "And if Beltre didn't have this latest bit of success, I would have suggested he head for the door, too.

I agree that Sexson hasn't been putting up the numbers that he is getting paid to do.
I know, I just felt like stirring the pot a bit......I guess I was bored! :pp

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree that Richie Sexton isn't pulling his share at the plate this year, but if the Mariners are going to keep pace with the Angels, its the pitching that needs to remain steady. A big test in my opinion tonight with Weaver.....that guy is good when he is on, but when he isn't, good lord!! My 14 year old boy could hit him! Ok, thats a bit far, but he sure has his ups and downs. I have been following the M's for quite awhile now, and this team has exceeded most of my hopes this year quite honestly. Bloomquist has decided to remember how to hit the ball, while Sexton couldn't hit it off a tee lately....weird. It makes thing interesting since my brother is a major Angels fan. The phones stay busy when they are matched up!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Overrated,and needs to go.
The Mariners tried to move Richie before the trade deadline but there aren't any contending teams in the market for a player earning 14M a year hitting less than 200. Richie has been a free swinger his whole career but doesn't seem to have the bat speed to take advantage of his long wing span right now. Not sure if this is because of injury or ? He's a good guy and popular teammate and most Mariner fans wish the best for him.

About the best thing the M's can do right now is to give Ben Broussard more playing time at first and hope Richie can work his way out of his slump. If not..Ben is a good capable left handed hitter who can put up good stats if allowed to play full time :twocents: Here's a comparison of their 2007 stats: Broussard hitting 295...Sexton 195. Complete career stats below.

1. R Sexson.
2. B Broussard

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I`ll start by saying that I like Richie, But I think that he has had his chances and its time to give Ben B. a full time position and give Richie the job of pinch hitting, unfortunately I`m not sure What kind of range he would have in the outfield or at any other position he went in for, and that fact right there I believe is the reason he is still at first, starting on a regular basis. no place to put him and he makes too much money to sit the bench. At this point in the season I am totally satisfied with there play. The Ms could spiral from here and I would still say they had a good season. as long as they keep spankin the Yankers:passout:, I`ll be a happy camper:meme:.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Before tonights game 66-50......."My Oh My!"...Dave N.:smile:

It's great for any of us Mariner fans to still be in the thick of the play-off race in the middle of August. Never would have thought it at the beginning of the season. The M's still have 7 head to head meetings with the Angels, 3 with the Yankees, 3 with Detroit, and 3 with Cleveland. Should be fun. Mariners are just 3 back of the Angels, and right down below are the MLB and wild card standings:

GO MARINERS!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Finally the Yank's and the Angel's lose, but hopfully the M's can get it going tonight and get that extra 1/2 game. GO MARINERS!!!!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
11-3 loss painful way to go nowhere. they had a chance to get 1 game up on both but at least they all lost.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok the Angels beat the Yankees. That puts the Mariners up one for the wild card and stay even on the division race. Who do you root for? I was rooting for the Angels because I just can't stand the pin stripe boys. How wrong is that? This time of year drives me nuts and there are many games left. I'm glad hunting season is almost here to distract me.

GO MARINERS - :dance:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I finally got the family to Seattle for our first game of the season on Saturday night. What an experience. The crowd was more or less sitting on their hands through the first six innings with the Sox winning 3 - 0. Then the offense kicked in. The last third of the game was outstanding. The "producers" in the control room really know how to amp up a crowd going into the 9th inning appearance of JJ. That was electric....kind of reminded me of the good ol' Rip City days when the MC would get to shaking from the crowd.

Say what you will about individual players, but this group can play as a team. I think that will be their strength down the stretch. Sure #44 hasn't been pulling his weight, but others have stepped in. Who thought Raul would be climbing the fence to chase down balls and knocking out dingers like he has the past few days? If they can survive this next big road trip, I think they've got a shot at winning the west.

As for who to root for? As much as I can't stand Steinbrenner's gang of overpaid geriatrics, I found that I was hoping they'd find a way to beat Anahiem last night. Win the division, and your fate is in your own hands. Shoot for the wild card and you can always get screwed up by some other team.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
very enjoyable baseball this year. looking forward to the final stretch run and i do expect the mariners to give the angels a run for the al west.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
I'm rooting for the M's. Hopefully they can keep on the winning path.
There is still a lot of baseball to be played before the playoffs even get here.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
THEY ARE HOT!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts