IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the bank fishing up at the hatchery? I plan on going there on Monday and wanted to know hoe the fishing has been.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have heard rumors of a couple of good days. in the past week or so. No current reports at this point though. Good luck if you go!

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Come on up. Join the circus. :wink:

I suppose there are a couple thousand Coho and a few Chinook in and around the hatchery area.

You will be fishing with about 150 friends on any given night. (more on the weekends) At one time tonight there was about 40 rods from the top of the log hole (north side) to the pipe. Snaggers are doing there thing on the South side as usual.

Bring eggs, orange/green corkies and yarn. You should use heavier line as there is not much room to fight the fish. This is combat fishing.

Good luck and see you there. :smile:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Oh yeah. If you are fishing in the AM, try to get there by 0530 as it starts to get crowded by 0600 or so. (on the North side anyway)

:smile:

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
I went and horned in with the snaggers, drunks, and degenerates on the southside for a few minutes this afternoon.. I caught a bright hen throwing a #4 blue fox chartruse, body with a striped chartruse blade slowly retrieved.. i alos had a couple of other hits for about an hour or 2 of effort. No ones else was throwing spinners or hardware, I can only imagine the bite would be better in the early mornings and evenings. just resist the urge to mouth off to the snaggers too much and show them that these fish do bite. Also make sure that every fish you see snagged is loudly branded as so, Discourages the keeping of them. Also bring a bag and pick up some of the piles of litter.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree with all of you who say there are alot of snaggers, drunks, loudmouths, litterbugs, and just in general idiots, at the hatchery. What ican ont figure out, is why are all the people only on snaggers rock? From my vast experience of being up there, it does not matter what side you are on. Also kudos to those who give a hard time to those who violate the rules. This is one of the few ways we have to make better for the rset of us. See ya up there:)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
It sounds like the "Hatchery Hole" on the NF Lewis is a place to avoid.

But, I am curious whether anyone is "jetting" the River and if so, how are they doing? (Coho can become extremely hard to catch once they hit the low water in the rivers, so I am hoping the boaters are getting a few.)

Any boating reports would be welcome.

Rusty

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Awe yes...took a quick easy limit on eggs on that one spot I was telling you about Mart. Early morning. Then some SOB drift boater came in and dropped his anchor right in the middle of the drift.
Buddy and I went up river and I tried to get him into a fish. We found two more hens for him.

Ok....Whats with the yahoos fighting like little girls over at the hatchery side?
What's with these guys on the North side of the river casting 12 foot leaders 5 feet off the South side of the river bank?
What's the deal here? You wanna fish from the North side but you wanna drift you stuff on the South side so close that I could reach out into the water and pick there gear up. What's the deal with the North side guys up in the fast water cutting my buddies set up(s)?
I figured it out. Where we are fishing on the South side of the river, we are only casting no more then 15 yards out. I can see the North side guys fishing the same water with no problem. But they wanna fish 5-10 feet off our bank and free spool it all the way down the freakin river? What gives?
And people...what's with the 12-13 foot leaders, 3/0 hooks and one pea size corkie? Read the rules dummy(s). Hook(s) have to float in that area. That little pea size corkie aint gonna float no 3/0 hook.
And people..don't say that the south side guys are the only people snagging. Just look around on them North Side guys. Most everyone over there is flossing away. Flossing AKA Snagging. 8-13 foot leaders...get real people.

What cuts mono better? Fire...spider....or tuff line?

Maybe I can get back down tomorrow.... :grin:

[ 09-06-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: KingFisher85 ]

·
Ray S.
899 Posts
WOW... that sounds like a really kicked back fun place to fish right now...Save me a spot
Keep gettin em
Ray

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
KF85,Tuffline cuts mono like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Here is an accurate description of what is going on on the NFL at least at Cedar creek

There is a line of guys extending from the mouth of cedar creek to the top of the pool and the only ones catching fish atr thoes who are snagging!! I fish that area for 5 hours this morning with spinners and had no strikes!!!
I saw many dozens of fish hooked every single one of them snagged!!!
On the North bank from the waterfall to the top of the pool All snaggers!!! The only seriously legit anglers there bedides myself are thoes who are drifting eggs above the gravel bar fishing the next run up. However they were catching nothing this morning..

Again every single fish I saw caught was snagged.
The fishing is not good but the snagging is!!
Oh and i saw the game warden down at McDonalds. I hope he wrote some tickets... One more thing I ain't moving out of the way for another snagged chinook. If you snag one and it runs down and gets caught in my line and breaks you off well then tough cookies I ain't moving fot some snagger lowlife in a white teeshirt with trout on the back...

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Hey Mike,

Turn from the dark side and join us up North! :wink:

As you know, we usally throw up stream in the log hole, but because of the number of people we are having to throw straight out and then start our drift. However, I don't see any reason to throw all the way across.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
There where back at it again today mark. I had spider wire. I guess I learned them :wink: . They kinda backed off.
No fights today....dang... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Mark and Kingfisher85,

Like to get together with you guys and do some fall fishing up there but not necessarily on the Lewis. Sounds like things haven't changed there.

I used to fish it years ago but got to be where I couldn't hardly stomach the snaggers. I have learned several places the last several years with plenty elbow room and good fishin'. Some of the places you don't see any snaggers and if they show up we run them off.

I'm going to start moving up there this and the next couple weeks and am chomping at the bit to play with the coho's. You want to go drop me an email.

Snagging is God awefull ugly up there in SW Washington and now that I am moving up there I would like to get more involved in getting these snaggers removed from the rivers or converting some of them over to fishing. Did that on the lower Kalama with some of them last year and now they are real bonafied fishermen.

If you two and others are interested in forming an organized SW Washington anti-snagging group let me know and I will get the ball rolling with WDFW. It's time or past time to make a change there. It's out a hand up there.

Dan

·
Ray S.
899 Posts
Hey guys you don't have to go all the way up to the meat hole to see the show!!! I went up to the Cowlitz a couple of times last week and you can see em all lined up at Camp Kalama right from the freeway. Might as well let the darned net guys get em... At least that's legal...Snaggers suck
Ray

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
For those who like to get the Lewis fish to bite, here's a little tip:

Try the freshest eggs you can get(Lewis river eggs from the day before would be my #1 choice, or some of Amerman's fresh from an Oregon hatchery), cured up nice and red. Use tiny(dime size) clusters on a #2 or #4 hook, a leader 16" long on 6,8 or 10# test, tipped with the second smallest corky you can buy.

Add scent if you have it, when the fish get moody after that first light bite.

Resist to yank on the line bumps, and another fish behind it will gulp it in ! Fish on !

Spinners with siwash hooks, blue fox style will also get those "fresh" ones to attack. Gold,copper,black,green, and of course blue should work. I've also heard rumors of the weighted Flash Glo's producing as well.

Keep it civil up there, it's just a fish. :grin:

KF85- Get ahold of me near the end of October. I believe you wanted to learn a night time trick or two. :smile:

Chris :cool:

[ 09-07-2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Chris- Thanks for the tips. :cheers:

Dan- I like it. Washington Anglers Against Snaggers and Poachers WAASP. Feel our sting!! :shocked:

Really though, I think it would be great to get a group together and see what we can come up with as far as a presentation to the WDFW to help/change their tactics understanding that the issue runs along the lines of budget and politics.

Steve- There are a few places around the hatchery area that are not so crowded. I spent a couple hours up in my regular corner with only two fishers beside me. Of course, there was 15 or 20 on the opposite bank. I lost one Coho and one Chinook. :depressed:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Sounds good to me. Just a few more weeks or until I get sick of the yahoos at the hatchery hole and I'm off to one of 3 zippers on the NF. Then I'll be into more fish then I know what to do with.
Hope we can get some water flow soon.

Yes,...I'm shocked to see how easy it is for these silvers and nookers to get to bite. With good eggs, its easy to have 15+ days!

Night fishing....sounds good to me.....only "if" MOM will let me???

I'll be, robA fished the hatchery hole. Rite that down and print that off. Wish I got a picture of that :grin: :tongue:

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
KF,
Me too.. I'll be bumming around up there off and on the next couple weeks in the evenings. Maybe we can catch up some time. Also have you tried bobber fishing silvers? I did it Ak and wonder if it would work on the lewis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts