IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What style/size does everyone like for drift fishing silvers from the bank.

I just lost three (rolled off the hook at the bank) , in 40 minutes :depressed: . One I lost using a #4 and one using a 2/0. Should I move to a more mid-sized hook, switch to owners...?

·
Premium Member
14,483 Posts
i've been using 2's this year and haven't lost a fish. (granted, that makes me 3 for 3, but it's better than 0 for 3).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I can relate to that I started Steelhead fishing in 1999 [I know rookie] and had the same problem I switched to Owner Cutting Tips and saw an instant improvment,I dont know if it was the hook or just me but there all I use know and havent lost to many [except that one on the salmon]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, next time out I'm going to try Owner cutting point 1's and bring some gami 2's if the owners don't do the trick for me.

Normally (on steelhead and chinook) I lose very few if any of my hooked fish, so it may have been my fishing luck just catching up to me yesterday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i use gami and owner cutting point and also the owner needle point ,ive had good luck with all three.I use #1 size hooks for coho and steelhead,sometimes #2 for real clear water.i think the cutting points may hold a little better but harder to set the hook.

david

·
Registered
673 Posts
Owners = Fish Evil, Gami's are over rated and $ in small shops if that is the only goood hook they carry. You might do a search and find the past dicussions goes into great detail.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fish Evil! :shocked: My lawd!

Good thing I'm only going after coho, the steelies might be too smart to go after something so sinister. :grin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts