IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first four Alvin's. Should I put different hooks on these or leave them the heck alone. :whazzup: Do you put treble hooks on these or fish them as is ? Any hot tips on modifying these would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Put on a split ring and an Owner treble. Since I have switched I have never lost a fish....I think I use 2/0 treble... Good luck...

[ 09-06-2003, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: k9jeff ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
does it make THAT much difference whether you use a treble or single hook? I've always had better luck with single hooks, however, I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I'm with K9jeff, but only one minor difference. I use one split ring that is the same size as the ring on the Alvin, then add one more that is about 1/2 the size as the other, and then a 2/0 Owner treble hook. My fish to boat ratio climbed noticebly. Main thing to remember wether you change things or not is that there is no substitute for sharp (and I mean sharp) hooks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have been cutting the welded ring off my alvins, and then adding a split ring. Then I put a large swivel on the split ring and then attach a 6/0 Gama siwash hook.

I like the siwash hook, it makes it a lot easier to release fish. With this system so far this year I have had 6 bites with 6 fish landed.

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
Sharp hooks catch fish. Single or treble depends on current( if the thing spins with a single replace iot with a treble. the extra water pwessure on the mulitple hooks will slow it down some) speed.

The second split ring/ add a swivel sounds like a good idea. we do the same with our kwikfish and land a lot more fish because of it. Makes sense.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
One test for a sharp hook is that it is sharp enough to hook your finger nail when you rub the hook on your finger nail. It should hook with very small pressure. A sharp hook will always catch more fish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
owner cutting point trebles.now those are sharp.works for me.i am in total agreement with k9jeff.these hooks cost a little more though.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
I'm with 5-Cents, I don't trust the hooks that come with the lures and always change them out! I usually put on an extra split ring and then a 6/0 or 7/0 Gami siwash hook. I've never used trebbles before on alvins though.

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
We're enjoying a very high solid hookup ratio using 1/0 and 2/0 Owner Needle Point trebles, touched up with an EZ-lap diamond hone - (wicked sharp is wicked good). No extra split rings, generally.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I always replace my hooks. For Alvins I use 1/0 Owner Cutting Points with one extra large split ring or 7/0 Gami Siwash. I like having both because I think the trebble give a little different action over the Siwash. If I am not getting bit with one I switch over to the other and a lot of times that works!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everybody..lot's of good stuff in here. I think I'll take nickel's advice and do a couple of each. It makes sense that a treble hook would prevent spin-out in high current and a single hook with an extra split ring would be more streamlined. I wasn't too impressed with the mustad hooks these came with so I'll definitely pay the extra bucks for owner hooks, they seem to have the greatest success rate and I'll use and extra split ring. The treble hooks will be put on with split rings and spinners.

So does anyone ever put luhr tape on these ? I imagine you could get pretty creative with these things. Anyone, want to show off there homemade bombshell alvin ? :shocked:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts