IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to tie my own mooching rig with non sliding upper hook. Question: What should the distance be between the hooks. I use green, blue, and purple herring. I searched other post but could not find the answer. If you want to throw in hook sizes that would work to. I notice on the search there were preferences from 4/0 up to 7/0.

If I missed a post on my search sending that would be fine by me.

Thanks Joss

· Registered
478 Posts
I am going to tie my own mooching rig with non sliding upper hook. Question: What should the distance be between the hooks. I use green, blue, and purple herring. I searched other post but could not find the answer. If you want to throw in hook sizes that would work to. I notice on the search there were preferences from 4/0 up to 7/0.

If I missed a post on my search sending that would be fine by me.

Thanks Joss

I use the distance from my thumb to my little finger (hook eye/ hook eye)across the palm of the hand. this way i have just a tiny bit of hook just past the tail of my bait. For the smaller baits i just wrap the extra leader around the bait and thread the hook out the tail.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
4 fingers
:yeahthat:

Actually, depends on the size of bait you're using to some degree. I try to put the bend of the rear hook just above the beginning of the bait's tail.

I often use slightly smaller hooks than most -- 2/0 on the upper, 3/0 on the lower, sometimes one size up from that. Just my :twocents:

· Registered
2,575 Posts
I actually tie mine a bit longer than most
Our Coos river fish tend to be smaller 3 year old fish with smaller mouths and tend to hook up on the back hook the majority ofthe time.
I like my back hook even with the end ofthe tail... this has increased my hook-up ratio and put more fish in the box.

· Registered
256 Posts
I agree that the bait determines the distance but I like mine to hang completely free of the tail. I think you connect more often and don't have as many drive-by's when the hook is hanging out there. It doesn't seem to spook the fish IMHO.

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eyeFish,

Thanks for your reply on my post. I also enjoyed reading about your family trip to Neah Bay. Can you tell me when the article in STS will be out in the stores. I suspect STS is for Salmon/Trout/Steelheader. My son is 10 and he is eager to go salmon fishing. Although I have only been at it for a few years my time is coming.

Thanks again.

And I'll tell y'all why, but it'll have to wait til my next STS article is published. ;)[/quote]

· Registered
1,717 Posts
The following seems to work for me:

4/0 hooks for the upper and 6/0 for the lower. About 4 fingers, and a little longer further into the season when I switch to a little larger herring and 6/0 for both.

I know I'll probably hear about thumbing or the drag set to tight but, I used to use stainless Mustad in salt. I switched to Mustad Cutter points after straightening out a few and loosing fish.

Just my :twocents: worth.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Sorry, didn't see the response to my earlier post. I was just kidding about longer and shorter distance depending on the color of the hook. Actually, I just put it in there to see if anyone would notice. It sounds like something that someone might actually do. Us fisherman sure do have alot of goofy nuances.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
:wave: Yep, you got me, hook.... line.... and sinker

Sorry, didn't see the response to my earlier post. I was just kidding about longer and shorter distance depending on the color of the hook. Actually, I just put it in there to see if anyone would notice. It sounds like something that someone might actually do. Us fisherman sure do have alot of goofy nuances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.