IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any luck with anything but jigs near the mouth of the WhiteSalmon?? THis is such a great place to launch and fish....and so many fish...Just hate to see all the blatant snagging, and would like to troll spinners or ?????
Jign :shrug:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My friend caught a steelhead on a bare red hook under a bobber there not too long ago.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Not enough current lately to anchor...but there's nothing wrong with doing that when there is.

You can also try back bumping eggs there.

TR

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
the eggs won't work until mid/late-september. trust me I have been fishing out there for over 20 years for URB'S, and dead drifting eggs is one of my favaoites. kwikfish, 4 ounces lead, just fast enough to be making head way upsteam, EARLY. don't even bother after 8:00 AM. when the boats are stacked in jigging stay just outside of them. those fish don't really like 100 2 ounce leads bouncing around them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Row flatfish/Kwickfish from the bridge on up the river. People also anchor and fish shrimp and bobber during the day. Most people jigging the mouth are not trying to snag fish. If they are snagged, they must go back in the water. You can tell the snaggers from the non-snaggers so be careful what you say.

Sambo

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Most people jigging the mouth are not trying to snag fish.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Well, I don't know what to say here. Maybe most are not actually TRYING to do so....but they are!! The normally accepted method for jigging is a slow pull up, followed by a slow dip back down, so you can detect the strike. 90+ % of strikes come on the "down"...the jig is fluttering. The vast majority of the people out there are yanking hard in an upward motion, and then just dropping the rod back down.

Not saying there aren't people out there who know what they're doing....these people are always quite obvious, their rods are moving slow and methodical. If you're yanking and dropping, you're snagging, simple as that.

I used to spend three days a week on that bench at the mouth of the White Salmon, all summer. The blatant-ness of the really bad guys has gotten much worse. There's a 12ft Klamath out there with a real pro....he snags 3 fish for every 1 of the rest of the people. Last weekend, he wasn't even bothering to float downriver with them; just popping them into the boat. Some really "beautiful" tule's as well, didn't matter. :hoboy:

TR

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys.....figured it was a quik fish show as we saw Buzz with a boat load of guys, all draggin quik fish. We have had success with light jigs on the silvers a bit later, but thought there has to be a better way to intice a bite from the CHinook. Going to have to give it another whirl.....Jign

1 - 11 of 11 Posts