IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to the city of Union along Hood Canal in mid September. We are bringing the boat and plan on salmon fishing. Is it good this time of year, are silvers the fish during that time, and what do I use to fish for them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brent

· Registered
642 Posts
I'm headed to the city of Union along Hood Canal in mid September. We are bringing the boat and plan on salmon fishing. Is it good this time of year, are silvers the fish during that time, and what do I use to fish for them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brent
Silvers and chums are abundant...Ask questions and spend some money at the local tackle shop and they will tell you what to use and where to fish...Lot's of Indian gillnets..Oh well..The Boldt decree
Mid teen silvers are not uncommon and the chums fight harder than any other Salmon...Checkout the WDFW website too...Good Luck:cheers:

· Registered
1,611 Posts
The launch at Union is primitive but usable. No docks at the ramp and very little parking. I have launched my 18 ft. boat there but you have to pull it up on the gravel bank. Dewatto Bay up north could be a place to try as well as Tahuya bay. Try to find locals who fish the area that might be willing to share technique and tackle.
Good luck.....

· Registered
8,339 Posts
Dont get your hopes up for clams and oysters though.Everything south of the bridge is closed to harvest due to vibriosis.

Just spent 5 days at Brinnon.Lots of silvers in the bay.Tons of nets too though.I think they were in 4 or 5 days that week.

I was plenty bummed about the seefood.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sounds good. I'm leaving Friday and hope to get into some salmon while there. We are actually staying at a place in Belfair. The owners told me to launch at some boat launch right around the corner from their place. Anyhow, I guess I will talk to some local tackle shops there about what to use. Thanks for the help guys.

· Registered
4,867 Posts
CITY ???? ha....

now that is funny.

Brent

· Registered
215 Posts
In my opinion, the best launch facility near Union is at Twanoh State Park. It's a two lane ramp with dock space and plenty of parking.

Mid-September you should be able to find some silvers. It's usually a tough bite though. Those Hood Canal fish have the case of lock-jaw. I can't say that I've been successful there. Check out the usual haunts such as the shoreline north of Hoodsport hatchery and across the canal to Dewatto bay.

You can usually see the silvers cruising along the shoreline of the many bays that dot the canal. If you can get close and be stealthy, try casting small spinners at them. Otherwise, you can troll gear like everyone else. The usual gear should work.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.