IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m heading up to Union, WA this weekend to visit my dad and his fiancé – going to take my super vee and do some fishing & crabbing.

There is a marina near where he lives that provides some fishing tips; www.cushmanboats.com. Pretty basic info…

I’ve never fished up there and am curious if anyone has any experience fishing that area this time of year and would be willing to share some info.

Thanks! RSL

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Depending on how soon you come, the Hoodsport pinks are in right now. It's just starting, so for the next 3-4 weeks, you should be able to pick up a mess of them. Fun for C&R anyway. Rockfish are available in a few spots also.

If you go after the pinks, don't waste too much time with spoons and spinners..... think pink and think pink jigs, tipped with a pink worm. :wink:

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
I think I told you about that one David. They have had excellent runs the last two years. Pretty hush hush unlike the big chum spectacular in November. Chinook in August, imagine that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This appears to be the preferred set-up for Hood Canal Summer Kings (I wonder at what latitude a ‘King’ becomes a ‘Chinook’?):

Use 30 lb leader
tie lure 24" from flasher
tie a 3 to 4 oz lead 30" above flasher
lures of choice - Coho Killer, Coyote Wonderbread, or FST (in order of preference)
fish 30 to 50 feet deep
fish 100 to 120 feet behind boat
Troll slow - 2 to 2 1/2 mph

The flasher of choice is made by Silver Horde and is named 10 Double B Flasher.

One source said on 7/22 he caught a 24 lb and a 33 lb Chinook trolling a Coho Killer.

I’ll post results & hopefully a picture upon return.

-RSL

·
Registered
473 Posts
Originally posted by David Johnson:
I was told by someone there about the chinook run in later August and September, care to shed some light on that?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Not sure about the Hoodsport chinook run. There is a run of chinook at the Skokomish river in August. I've never fished with so many people in my life. Sure alot of spooked out fish. Should have seen the the guy on the other side of the bank (reservation) with a treble hook with a weight hanging from it. They call it the "tribal" hook.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm going to Hoodsport tomorrow - I'll try to remember to post (too much demoic acid).

Try fishing Kings at the hatchery with a fly rod. There will be times when there are only two other fishermen because it's too hard to fish with conventional gear.

"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish."
Steven Wright (1955 - )

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had heard blue vibrax (Blue fox)spinners worked well for those hatchery kings at the hoodsport hatchery. Never tried it though.

Let us know!

Full Freezer

·
Registered
909 Posts
I just spent last friday accross the water about 2 minute boat ride from union. If you are standing on the union marina dock look north then a little to the east you will see a corner where a point sticks out. Look at a map and you will see this is the mouth of the tahuya river. Drop your pots in about 35 -45 feet of water. We picked up 28 dungeness crabs in 9 hours friday. Now head your boat across main channel over torwards hoodsport. Just north of the downtown area which isnt big you will find and see a lot of people fishing for pinks that are just starting to show up. We didnt fish but were tied up at the public dock in hoodsport and had a school of pinks breaking the water about 30 feet from the boat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Over the 4th of July weekend we spent some time crabbing and fishing and had really good success. We put our pots in 80-110 feet of water and got several nice keeper crabs. We also trolled in 80 feet and landed several dog fish sharks plus a bunch of petrale sole. Right at 80 feet if you didn't get a bite within a minute you were doing something wrong. The dog fish provided plenty of entertainment. It wasn't Salmon but it was still fun.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In case anyone read this post Friday and wondered how we did and where exactly we went…

We launched in Hoodsport and went North (down-canal) about 3 miles to a small cove in front of the little town of Lilliwaup. We set the crab pots between 25-50 feet using turkey legs for bait. While the pots were out, we trolled flashers and Coyote spoons along with about three other boats between Lilliwaup and Ayock Point in between 50-100 feet of water (man does that water get deep fast!) – no fish for us or any of the other boats… We then anchored in about 30 feet of water and fished for Sand Sharks/Dog Fish. The kids had a blast on those - hooking one every minute or so. Those buggers have sharp teeth, easily cutting through 30 pound Maxima – will use wire leader if we ever do this again. The crabbing was absolutely great – with 3-5 keepers per pull common. We got our limit of 30 crabs both days in about 4-5 hours each day.

Thanks to those that gave info prior to our trip!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Last year, either just before or just after Labor Day...we fished Lillywap or what ever it is....what a show near night fall...big kings in the air all the time. Just could not get them to bite. Fish checker at launch said it had been slow...marked tons of fish and saw alot jump. In close to shore at the entrance where it goes under the bridge, we saw many silvers jumping and finning...managed one of those casting Vibrax. Russ

·
Registered
909 Posts
Glad to hear you did good. I have never had a bad day crabbing on hood canal. I think you were a little turned around as you were headed up the canal towards the ocean. Just up the road from lillawaup is the hama hama oyster company a great place to pick up some very clean oysters along with goeyducks and clams .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts