IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I am looking at an older Honda 10 horse (1985). It runs beautifully, makes no weird noises, doesn't smoke and has a problem I need an opinion on before I release it or set the hook.

1. The oil pressure light works intermittently. There isn't a real pattern, although sometimes it appears to work when the engine is revved and die when the RPMs drop, as if it has low/no pressure.

2. The oil has not been changed in quite some time, it's really dark.

3. The engine gets pretty hot near what I *think* is the intake manifold, too hot to touch.

I know nothing about outboards, so I would like to know if you can tell me if intermittent oil pressure lights are common on these motors, if it's normal to be hot where I touched it, or if the thing is a time bomb/money pit waiting to explode.
Thanks,
Al

PS-This is not the 10 horse honda that is on the sale/trade board.

[ 09-20-2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: reelmeister ]

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
RM,I had one of those mid 80s Hondas. It started fouling plugs,so I figured I'd have it rebuilt. The guys at Sportcraft said that they would not recommend doing that. They said that 9 times out of 10 something is bad inside that can't be found. Waste of time and money to try a rebuild. So I bought a new motor. As for the other problem of the light,my new one does the same thing.The overheating doesn't sound good,you might want to pass on that motor.

[ 09-20-2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reelmeister,
The intermitant oil light could just be a flakey oil pressure sending unit. The over heating problem will probably be solved with a water pump impellor and maybe a thermostat. How much is the asking price? Andy

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I trolled with it last night, and noticed the following:
1. The light worked fine for the first 5 minutes of running.

2. The light stopped working at all during low RPM trolling speed, but would come back on when revved up.

3. The motor won't get my 14 foot alumacraft on plane.

4. There was a small amount of white/blue smoke during warm up.

I think I am looking at a motor which doesn't develop decent oil pressure at idle speeds. Since I troll at around idle speed or close to it, it is running with insufficient oil pressure most of the time. I also believe the blue smoke may be a symptom of worm rings or valve guides, and I am sure that a 10 horse should be able to get that boat on plane.

Those conclusions are based on what little I know about basic internal combustions engines, am I on the right track?

Andy, the price the guy wants is 700. It's a long shaft, my boat has a 20 inch transom.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
428 Posts
Low oil pressure at low rpms when warm = worn bearings. Hot intake = possable leaking intake valve. Pass on this one I know a new motor is another 1100.00 but worth the extra money, ie. no lost fishing time. I've rebuilt a few and unless parts for older motors are more expensive a do it yourself rebuild my be an option. Even then you will wind up with 1000.00 invested most likely.
Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts