IFish Fishing Forum banner

Honda 8 HP seeks help........................

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Salmonator 
#1 ·
my kicker is acting up...used to start 3rd or 4th pull, now really cranky. Will not even spit after a dozen pulls...add a little starter fluid to carb and voila' starts and runs just great with no restart problems, until it's cold again....any help appreciated.

One more thing....kicker is fed from main tank but big motor experiencing no problem.

[ 10-05-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: SandyRiverRon ]

#7 ·
Thanks for all the reply's...you guys are great..think I'll change the plugs to a hotter version and check out the choke..also had never thought to hold the tiller in the start position, just put it there and expected it to stay. After repeated efforts on the Siletz failed to start motor one of the Amerman's suggested....buy a Merc, thanx again.

#8 ·
Mine seemed hard to start as well this year but by pumping up the bulb, pulling the choke out putting it in gear then going full throttle twice then taking it out of gear and pulling starter cord it seems to start first pull. I think each motor has its seperate little ritual to starting try some new combination maybe it will work better for you. :shrug:

#11 ·
There isn't any varnish in gasoline any more since they did away with leaded gas. In a two stroke with the oil mixed in the fuel, you'll end up with a lot of gunk in the carbuerators, but it's mostly oil. With a Honda, that shouldn't be a problem Take it to the Honda dude and pay for a pro to tune it up,,,,,then it'll work right and you can focus on the important thing,,,,,,fishing

#12 ·
Gunk in the carburetor usually a sure thing. Get a carburetor kit and a good cleaning might do the trick. Be sure to turn the idle screw and count the turns so you know where to set it when you re-install the carburetor. On the idle screw adjustment open an extra 1/4 turn on the initial run. With the motor in a tank turn the idle screw clockwise until you hear the motor start to change its running slightly, then open approximately 1/8 turn counter clockwise and you should be set. Just worked on mine and this worked to my satisfaction.

Robin

#14 ·
I squeze the fuel line primer bulb with the 8 HP Honda choke pushed in for the closed position. Then, once the bulb is rather firm, I pull open the choke all the way for my cold start with one pull.
Thanks for the tip on using hotter NGK spark plugs. I'll watch for the hot numbers too.

#15 ·
I have found that although I have the throttle in the start position,I must hold it there with my hand to get a quick start.

#18 ·
1. Pump the bulb
2.Place in gear, pump the throttle twice to wide open.
3. Put in neutral
4. Pull choke out
5. Put throttle as open as it will go when in neutral.
6. Pull start cord, mine starts every time on the second pull.

Now, how do you keep it the idle smooth? Mine will idle rough and eventually "load-up" and die if I'm trolling at idle a lot.

#19 ·
Huntar, sounds like you need the infamous honda thermostat fix. I had to have it done to both the hondas I've owned. No problem if you run the motor in texas or cali, but they run too cold in the nw. Talk to the dealers, they should know all about it. I got mine done under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.