IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda 15hp 4 stroke mounted on my 1985, 16’ Alumaweld flat bottom sled, and have a issue of what feels like the prop slipping, when the boat is under load and at speed. The motor starts fine, runs fine, with no other issues. I marked the prop and ran the boat to see if the prop is spun, but it is not slipping. Curious if the motor is missing, so changed the plugs and no difference. The old plugs were Tan color and looked good. Has anyone had this problem. Cavitation? Carburetor need rebuilt?
Thanks and Tight Lines

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a Honda 15hp 4 stroke mounted on my 1985, 16’ Alumaweld flat bottom sled, and have a issue of what feels like the prop slipping, when the boat is under load and at speed. The motor starts fine, runs fine, with no other issues. I marked the prop and ran the boat to see if the prop is spun, but it is not slipping. Curious if the motor is missing, so changed the plugs and no difference. The old plugs were Tan color and looked good. Has anyone had this problem. Cavitation? Carburetor need rebuilt?
Thanks and Tight Lines

Hi you didn't say if this has always been the case with this boat/motor or if it just started behaving this way?
If its been this way since day one, then look at the back by your prop when this occurs and check for cavitation.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a used motor that I have had for a couple of months, and it was happening from the start. Does not have the problem at lower speed, but mostly at almost wide open and on up. And not sure what to look for in cavitation?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Flat bottom boats tend to channel air under them into the prop, it could be that your motor is sitting at the wrong height and getting air into the prop.

Also curious as asked above if this in a new problem or has been doing all along.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Might you have a spun hub in the prop? At slow troll it does okay but a full thrust the hub is slipping. If you pull the prop off and look at the hub from the rear you may see some shavings, or something? Not familiar with flat bottom hulls, but if the kicker's cavitation plate is at, or slightly below, the bottom of the hull I wouldn't think it's cavitating?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Just talked with one of our Honda techs here at Sportcraft and they mentioned probably cavitation, but could possibly be a spun hub. As mentioned earlier with someone else, mark the prop and the hub and when you think slippage has occurred check your markings.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I marked the hub and prop, and the line up marks are still in line. I moved the bracket pin down one hole yesterday and will try out tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts