IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Bill, you requested it so here it is, our family version of homemade split pea soup............

Homemade Split Pea Soup
I like to use the 32 oz. bag of Western Family Green Split Peas I get from my local Thriftway store as a start for this recipe. The instructions call for pre-cooking the peas, I do not do this. All I do is rinse the peas with cold water in a small holed colander before I add them into the soup.

(1) 32 oz. bag of Green Split Peas (rinsed in cold water)
1 lb. good meaty bacon (slice into small pieces)
1 lb. good ham (1/8" thick, cubed, remove fat) (I use Bavarian)
2 cups carrots (chopped, medium)
1/2 cup celery (chopped, medium) (I substitute 1tbsp. celery seed, do not use both)
(1) med. size shallot (chopped, small)
1 heaping tbsp. minced garlic (more to taste if you like)
1 sprig of fresh thyme (I substitute 1 tbsp. dry thyme)
4 bay leaves (remove after soup is done before serving)
Salt and Pepper to taste
49 oz. chicken broth (I use low sodium)
1-2 cups water for covering

Cooking instructions:
In a larger stock pot over medium heat fry the sliced bacon until done. Once done, remove bacon and set aside (I set the bacon on paper towels to absorb excess grease).

Remove all but about a tbsp. of the bacon grease from the stock pot. Add chopped carrots, shallot, garlic, (celery if you use it, not the celery seed yet if you go that route), and sauté over medium heat until the shallot is translucent.

Once veggies are done add, (celery seed if used), salt and pepper to taste, cooked bacon, chopped ham, chicken broth, (no water yet), thyme (fresh or dry), bay leaves, and rinsed peas. If the chicken broth is not enough to cover the other ingredients by about an inch or so add water to cover (could use more chicken broth if desired but not needed, water works fine). Turn heat up to medium high and bring to a rapid boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer a minimum of 60 minutes; we let ours go all day for 4-5 hours. Stir occasionally to bring peas off the bottom of the pot, but not too much as to break down the peas as they cook. Once the soup is done, if it's to thick for your liking you can simply add more chicken broth or water to get your desired thickness (we like our soup fairly thick).

This recipe makes a lot of soup, probably 8-10 servings. You can go with a smaller batch if desired, but don't scrimp on the meat and veggies. Oh, and it's wonderful as a left over........

A perfect complement to this soup is Bill Rogue V.’s Fast and Yummy Beer Bread recipe http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=11683634#post11683634

This is a good soup for those cold rainy damp days here in the northwest. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as our family does……….bon appetite.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
artwo sounds great. can you also use a crock pot?
I suppose you could crock-pot this. The only thing I'm not sure about is the "bring to a boil" part of the recipe. I'd suspect everything would soften up over time in the crock though............

· Registered
235 Posts
Seems to have been very hot the last 2 winters but I can eat pea soup anytime. Sounds and looks good. Going to give it a try.

Sent from Mars....

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Excellent recipe, thanks for bumping it up! Got some Kentucky dry-smoked country ham that will really rock with this tasty soup. A tossed green salad with some jalapeno corn bread would make for a perfect meal.

The only change I'll make is using yellow split peas (personally preferred) instead of green..probably because we were brought up eating yellow split peas.

Or maybe it's just because I'm an older half/senile buzzard still haunted by that scene from the 'Exorcist'..:passout:..:cheers:

· Registered
8,040 Posts
I so wanted to do this with my leftover Christmas ham but didn't have split peas etc and too lazy to shop that day. Made ham cabbage soup. Bookmarked this to try, will have to go grocery shopping someday. Bet it'd go great with some fresh beer bread.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The wife made up a big batch the week between Xmas and New Year's using up the left over Xmas ham, it was fantastic............

...and yes QR, we've whipped up a loaf of beer bread a time or two to have with this soup. The one I've liked the best was with chopped jalapeno's and cheddar cheese incorporated.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bumping this one to the top for some rainy day comfort food.........

Be sure to look up Bill V's beer bread recipe to go along with it.....

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts