IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just started making my own spinners and was wondering what hooks to use.so far i have been using 2/0 si wash gami's,with a #4 blade.was thinking about using stinger treble hooks,but i think siwash hooks would hold onto a fish beter,but i dont know if they would hook a fish as easy as treble hook would.(lots of drive by's}
thank you for any info.
david

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
bender, the siwash hooks will work just fine. I think you may lose more fish with the trebles. The siwash makes it pretty easy and less stressful to release a fish if it's a nate. My .02. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
I fish a lot of spinners. I quit using trebles a long time ago. I land more fish with singles than trebles. Singles are cheaper. They snag less. On 4s and 5s( steelhead and cohos) I use 1/0 hooks. I am looking for finer wire hooks at this time. But have nothing but dead ends to show for it. I have talked to a lot of folks who use octopus hooks. They may be onto something.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
993 Posts
being a professional spinner builder and a self proclaimed spinner expert most people dont realize that anchored up,casting and trolling that there is something called the slack bite thats when the fish picks up your spinner feels the blade and lets go i think with a treble hook you have more of a chance to stick the fish
heres a little hint on your smaller blades #3 #4 use a little larger hook than the blade i dont miss vary many fish that way give it a try my way is not the only way just a way i found that works the best for me

if you have any ? email me

[ 06-25-2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Get Bent Tackle ]

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Good points Get bent.

I guess it depends on what and how you fish them. In Tilly, Trebles rule for the very reason you list.

I swing a lot of blades for steelies and cohos. In this application, I like the singles. In sitiations where the fish are hitting and TURNING, the singles are great.

Last year we had a slack bite on a kwikfish on the Clack. Turned out to be an old coho that swam thru it. I figures it was hung up til the line got 20 feet shorter!

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Scott, good thought.
I was mentioning the siwash for casting and retrieving, but, YES, trebles are great for trolling or anchor fishing. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts