IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I was still pretty stoked about the fish we caught yesterday on the Necannicum river, when I woke up this morning, FISH was on my mind. I really wanted to get a winter Steelhead though. So, I was a good boy and got the misses breakfast, took the dog out for a walk, and did some cleaning around the house early this morning. All the while she was sleeping :sleep: So, after 9am, she gave me the okay to do some fishing.
I decided to hit the Wilson this time. I saw the river had risen a little on the net. So, I packed the Steelie gear and the Salmon gear. The drive over Hwy 6 at the summit was a bit icy. You could see the icy spots that were in the shade all morning. So, please becareful if you head that way. I know sometimes in the excitement of pursuing your first Winter Steelie, we forget saftey!!

I was down at MM 7 by 10amish. Found some nice water and drifted the pink worm, bobber n jig, and then the corky and yard. I worked from MM7 downriver towards the Guide Shop. I didn't get any strikes, but did walk down to a hole, where a young kid had one on his line. It broke off as he was getting it near his feet. About 6-8 feet away :depressed: It was a bright fish, prolly in the 3-4lb range. That got my adrenaline going. So, I fish some nice water again for about 2 hours working up and down the stretch.... :shrug: empty. So, it was around 1pmish. I decided to head out and fish the middle to upper Wilson. Thinking maybe a few shot up higher than I might anticipate. I get to one of my favorite holes. Seemed, all the cars were from MM7 down, cause I didn't see more than 2 cars on the side of Hwy 6 on the way up. I heard the Guide Shop was packed down below this morning, so I didn't even attempt to fish near that area.

I get down to the hole, fish all my usual stuff for Winters. Nothing. So, I decide to toss out the bobber and eggs for Salmon. I still had half my jar of my own cured eggs from yesterday. The same cured eggs that caught me the 20lber on the Necannicum...sorry had to throw that one in again :grin:. I fish for about 30 minutes chaning my depth and putting on fresh eggs. I thought about giving up, but wanted to use up all the eggs. I had 2 gobbs left. I put the 2nd to last one one. Toss the bobber this time closer to my side of the bank. Bobber goes by me and the rock I am standing on, I reel up my line and notice I had a loop in my reel, so I open the bail to pull out line. The bobber is just below my feet, about 4 feet from the rock I was standing on. Out of the corner of my eye, my bobber just stops and goes up and down. I thought my eggs my caught up on the ledge. As I reel up fast, I see 2 bright flashes and then I knew..FISH ON! I reeled up all the slack and just drive the hook home. The battle was on. This time, I had a net :yay: Fought it for about 10 minutes and got him into the net and on the bank :smash: A nice 15lbs buck, about 30". I couldn't believe my luck, 2 outings on two different rivers and 2 fish.
It's in my special brine as we speak and ready for the smoker tomorrow!

Caught the fish on Ammerman's Cure. At about 9.5 feet. Right along the cut bank. The water color was a deep green with about 3-4 feet of visibility. I was somewhere between MM 10 and 15. There's fish through out the system, still some bright one's. I know it's tough with Steelhead on the mind, but don't forget Nookie is good too!
Good luck and tight lines!

Vu

· Registered
4,953 Posts
Re: Home Made

You are going to be a legend my man :wink:......nice work :applause: :applause: :applause: and as again, thanks for the post and pics :cheers:

· Registered
17,451 Posts
Re: Home Made

You are going to be a legend my man :wink:......nice work :applause: :applause: :applause: and as again, thanks for the post and pics :cheers:
I'm going to have to agree with Rodaction on this one - you must have a built in fish magnet - I'll have to find you on the Wilson sometime and try and rub some of that off -

Someday you will have to tell us the story that got all that good Fish Karma going your way - nice fishes by the way

· Registered
471 Posts
Way to go Vu, you are the man! Thats funny, I was just thinking to myself today, I wonder why Vu hasn't posted anything lately, & here you are, thanks, I was going through dejavu withdrawls, I always look forward to your fish & your pictures. Take it easy.

· Registered
5,708 Posts
After hooking one Thanksgiving morning, I continued to fish for two more hours-nothing.
I said to myself what would Vu do?
Tied on the pink worm, and threw it in the deep dark hole.
Nothing, but I tried and had a good laugh thinking what would Vu do?
Nice job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.