IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get shot/wreck somebody elses boat or get punched out on the ramp, just wondering if I could go out with someone to see how it is done as well as meet a few more IFISH'rs since you all seem to have such a good time next to each other. Heck I don't even care if I catch a fish the lesson alone will be worth it.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
To me there are two different types of hog lines. The Oregon city Willamette river type and the Columbia river type. I won't even attempt the Oregon city one. They have to have their bumpers out. Columbia river you normally leave at least 1.5 to 2 boat widths between boats. The main thing is to look how other boats are hanging on their anchors. If they are at a slight angel adjust where you drop your anchor.

Don't be afraid to try more then once to get set up where you want to be. Good luck and stay calm.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree. The OC hoglines tend to be less tolerant and make it difficult to anchor if you aren't one of the regulars. Everyone on the Columbia seems friendly and helpful. The biggest thing is to watch how the current is pulling the anchor ropes and then anchor the same way. When in doubt give plenty of room the first couple of times until you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
don't be afraid to ask the boats in the line to help you line up before you drop your anchor. most people will help and it kind of breaks the ice.

nothing worse than someone racing over to a spot and dropping anchor without paying attention and knocking you loose. not fun sitting in a line with everyone glaring at you.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
These are all good suggestions. As was already mentioned, don't be afraid to pull up and anchor again but also remember that you can do some adjusting with your socks, where your anchor line is tied, turning your engines, etc. A little friendly conversation goes a long way and once you've been there a few times in the same line people recognize you. Lots of hogline etiquette info in the iFish archives as well.

Good Luck!

WLW

G

·
Piece of cake. You can do it out there. It's not Bonneville.

Hang/ready your anchor in advance. Critical.

Approach from the rear of the line, slowly.

Go in between the two boats. (If I can't go in between the two boats with plenty of space on both sides, I won't sit there, but that's me) Anchoring on the side of one boat is even easier.

For most :laugh:

Motor above the slot, staying in the middle of the slot, noting where the anchor ropes enter
the water. Important.

Center your boat, above and in the middle of the slot. Drop the hook and go back slowly. NO NEED for the "manly" (stupid) see how fast you can go back on the motor. Don't forget you have a forward gear to stop or adjust your backward progress for a moment if needed.

STOP CHECK and hold, WELL ABOVE the line, anchor balls and anchor ropes. This will allow you to see how you are going to end up, without even getting into the boats in the line, and all the "disaster" that can come with that if something happens.

If you like it, go back, letting the rope out, BY HAND, with the motor in neutral. Line up the back of your boat with the back of the other boats.

(Frenchman's crowd can't seem to master this simple task. )

You can make minor adjustments, right or left, if needed, with the sea socks or shearing your rope off a bit. Two sea socks are a must.

Kill the motor and fish!

Rick

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also, make sure you put out plenty of anchor rope, I have seen many people break loose due to not having enough rope out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you get a fish on and you pull out do you pull the anchor up with the boat or is it left there by just un tying the rope from the boat and left there to float and hold your spot? remember I have never done this and I dont want to sound ignorant.... thanks again

·
Registered
43 Posts
All great advise. I like the part about anchoring even with the boats in the line. Nothing looks worse when your boat is the one that is hanging past all the others in your line.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are no ignorant questions. When a fish is on you toss the anchor rope over and float downstream. Some leave the sea anchors out at this point, it helps to pull you back (don't forget to pull em in before starting the motor)If you have x-tra anchor rope after getting lined up in the hog-line, tie it up so you don't have a lot of loose line in the water. most folks will have another smaller float at the end of the line. Makes it easier to pick it up when you move back to your bouy ball. When moving back to your spot slow down before you run over your anchor floats. And I have started using one of those mesh bags (onion sack) for the x-tra line. It seems to work good. after getting set in the line you just close the bag and tie a knot so rope won't slip out and attach the second float. Your'e ready to go.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
You throw your anchor rope over. You should have a buoy of some sort attached to it. Then when you have landed that hog, you go back up and grab your buoy and hook the line to your boat and your in the same hot spot!! Anyway that's the way it's supposed to work!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dropped into a hog line for the first time on the CR last Saturday. Anchored up above the line alone to get the feel for what was going on then anchored on the outside of the line. Over heard ifisher's talking in the boats next to me about ifish. We ended up with four fish and everyone was real nice to us. We gave the boat next to us plenty of room though. green pirate was anchored next to us and he was cool all day with some great conversation and good tips on what weight we should use. I have found that if you treat people like you would like to be treated it works out in the end.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If its your first time, I highly suggest you practice once or twice away from the crowds. Pick some landmark and try to anchor so that when the anchor is set and the rope is out you are lined up with the landmark. This is a good way to get a feel for what the current is going to do.

Don't let the anchor man force rope out let the weight of the anchor pull it out until it hits bottom, then let current pull out the rest of the rope (if the current is slow you can motor in reverse slowly to aid this process). The last thing you want is too much slack in the water and have the rope get tangled in a prop.

A couple other pt's I learned from this site:
1)Always have a sharp knife handy to cut the rope in an emergency
2)Anchor man should be wearing a lifejacket
3)if anchoring at the beginning of the tide change, have plenty of rope out so that as the current picks up with the tide you will still be holding anchor
4)Don't toss the anchor, lower it. If you toss it, the chain can sometimes tangle around the anchor and it won't lay correctly.

Frenchman's is a good place to learn , just do it away from the crowds the first time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
practice practice practice. I have done it a few times and still get a little nervus. as long as you are calm and aren't rude people will understand that you are a rookie. I find it works good to let everyone know you are a rookie. that way they can laugh with you instead of at you. Good luck and tight lines.

Cartman

·
Registered
66 Posts
"(Frenchman's crowd can't seem to master this simple task. )" :laugh: :laugh:

Absolutely hilarious. :cheers:

TD

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by riverwild:
I dropped into a hog line for the first time on the CR last Saturday. Anchored up above the line alone to get the feel for what was going on then anchored on the outside of the line. Over heard ifisher's talking in the boats next to me about ifish. We ended up with four fish and everyone was real nice to us. We gave the boat next to us plenty of room though. green pirate was anchored next to us and he was cool all day with some great conversation and good tips on what weight we should use. I have found that if you treat people like you would like to be treated it works out in the end.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

1 - 16 of 16 Posts