Registered
293 Posts
I have been hit twice in the Newport Parking lot
Wish they had security cams
Maybe you could contact the person and collect damages

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Does anyone else wonder what it would be like if we were allowed to take matters into our own hands...

Getting in trouble for doing what is right...makes ya wonder.

I have had a hit/run on my truck before at a marina...guy cut to short with his trailer and left a nice deep cut into the corner of my bumper. Always something...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing the government is good for is screwing up and taking your money. If the cops’ hands are tied, then a little street justice is in order. It doesn’t get your money back, but it certainly changes peoples’ attitudes about what they do. Some people don’t respond to the legal system; they respond to a good old fashioned ass whooping....and like you all said, the DA and cops won’t do anything. Welcome to the Wild West again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks esq for posting this. Excellent debate from the community who makes an effort to live according to the laws of our land.

awareness is valuable. Can make it less comfortable for the dirtbags

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
With all the notoriety, I surprised the truck hasn’t been located... or has it?

Dirtbags need some personalized social adjusting. Hope they find the guy.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
It's not the Police who are at fault. It's the DA and lack of jail space. Support for the police at the top, fixes the problems at the bottom.
I'm for changing crime punishment. Lets build a set of stocks in town and handle minor crime with a public whipping. Major crimes we contract with North Korea and let them start a prison business. I would bet our crime rate would drop like a rock.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'm for changing crime punishment. Lets build a set of stocks in town and handle minor crime with a public whipping. Major crimes we contract with North Korea and let them start a prison business. I would bet our crime rate would drop like a rock.
Pillory. Great word. Look it up.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
The only thing the government is good for is screwing up and taking your money. If the cops’ hands are tied, then a little street justice is in order. It doesn’t get your money back, but it certainly changes peoples’ attitudes about what they do. Some people don’t respond to the legal system; they respond to a good old fashioned ass whooping....and like you all said, the DA and cops won’t do anything. Welcome to the Wild West again.
Going back over 45 years I had a young German Shepard that was a great dog but working too much I had little time for the dog and my wife just hated that dog. So while getting my next haircut my barber Larry told me he had his truck broken into several times while he was working, mostly his bottle of whiskey was gone. So jokingly I said Larry you need to get a dog. Before the hair cut was done Larry was going to be the new owner of Fritz our Shepard. A few days later I stopped in to see if Fritz and Larry were getting along ok. Larry said yep he and dog became instant buddies and Fritz is asleep in the suburban right now. I went out to the truck opened the door to find he was happy to see me but not interested in getting out, good sign. Next time for a hair cut Larry said his truck thief was no longer a problem with Fritz snoozing in the truck. In fact he got a chance to meet the guy stealing from him. It seems the guy opened the door and before he could react Fritz had him in his jaws. I should tell you Fritz likely weighted around 80 lbs and was still a pup. Larry said he heard yelling and screaming and ran outside to find this guy still in his truck and Fritz pulling the guy into the back seat. Larry said Fritz had the guy by the wrist and from the looks of all the blood had ripped open a blood vessel or two in the wrist. Larry told the guy to forget any complaint against the dog and he would forget calling the cops. Larry said the guy walks by once and while but makes a big detour across the street around his truck now. I laughed till my eyes were watering.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I'm sorry, but it is the police and their policies that are at fault. I got my f-350 keyed in the WalMart parking lot here in Bend. Police would not come. Police would not look at Walmart cameras. $2500 in damage. Police told me unless it's $10,000 or more just fill out an online form and turn it into your insurance company. How can the DA do anything if the police won't investigate and charge someone. I do support the police. I support good police and ones who do their job.
That would have made me think about keying the crap out of Bend cop car . . . then telling him to call his insurance agent. Of course you'd end up in court but . . . the principal! Makes me mad.

Chass

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
And what does that have to do with anything?
THE THIEVES STOLE IT!!
Not trying to start a feud, but my utility trailer was locked, and it was stolen.
I agree it’s sad we have to take measures to protect our property from dirtbag thieves.

But I sure would not leave my truck parked in a public parking lot with a 350.00 hitch secured only with a cotter pin.

I’m very sorry your Trailer was stolen even though you tried to protect it. Just like you I hate the world we live in these days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
That would have made me think about keying the crap out of Bend cop car . . . then telling him to call his insurance agent. Of course you'd end up in court but . . . the principal! Makes me mad.

Chass
Most likely the DA’s office was the one not interested in prosecuting the offenses less than 10,000 not the cops.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Too bad a judge would not just tell the victim of a small theft crime that he has the right to go the thieves home and help himself to anything of equal value while bringing along an officer to validate the process.

Reactions: Reel fortunate

·
Registered
112 Posts
Most likely the DA’s office was the one not interested in prosecuting the offenses less than 10,000 not the cops.

Exactly, how many times do you think a cop will do his job if the DA won't. I wouldn't give it more than a couple.

Couples month's ago I was talking with an officer that just finished a Dui arrest, he commented that little would likely happen to the guy. He had arrested someone the same week on their 5th Dui and the guy still had a license.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was really hoping that we could I.D. this guy. Doesn't look like that will happen. So here is another law enforcement story: a lifelong friend calls me a few years back to say that he is being charged with a felony for leaving the scene of an accident. He is a 20+ year national guard vet and an upstanding man. He went off the road one night on the way home and took out a road sign at about midnight. This is in the hills where there is no cell service. He elected to walk home about 1/2 mile an left his car in the ditch. He was awakened at 4 am by State police saying they found his vehicle. They cited him with hit and run. The prosecutor lroceeded with a claim against him for hit and run because he took out a road sign and "fled the scene". Our justice system needs.........

·
Registered
437 Posts
A radio host did a great job of explaining the issue. At its core, there is an issue with funding. The system is set up to efficiently extract cash from law abiding citizens with checking accounts. Parking tickets, minor traffic offenses, the soccer mom with a bad tail light. Tickets, fines and fees are self sustaining. The criminals don’t contribute to the cash flow. Inconvenient to deal with crime when it doesn’t generate cash for the system.

Coupled with this is lunacy about defunding police so that organized crime fills the void. Pretty much a death spiral when criminal behavior is without consequence.

I agree that it seems a vigilante court may be closer than we think. Anyone hear stories about thieves, then vigilante justice with the evacuated areas during the fires around Molalla last September?

reports I heard is that the thefts subsided when armed patrols by neighbors were organized.

pretty high priority for tax dollars to deal with crime in my opinion. If crime is an issue, eliminate lower priority expenses until crime is solved.

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
ESQ: Same thing happened to my wife. Her car hydroplaned and took out a sign before she got it stopped. Car wasn't badly damaged and she just drove home. She didn't get cited but they told her they could for hit and run.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts