IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it year around?
overnite parking?
if you wanted to anchor up and sleep in the boat can you get out of the wind?
it looks like there's a bridge in the park, how high? 13' maybe?
it will be nite steelheading soon and want to be able to fish until 2 or 3am. than go anchor and catch some zzzz's with out barge traffic blowing their horn. thought about the pool over by the locks but that could be nosie.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
There are no bridges at hat rock state park to worry about. There is the hat rock campground, I believe it is a privately ran camping area. There are mooring bouys, about 4-5 of them, one is at the boat ramp, the others are upriver a bit towards warehouse beach. This is where there is a bridge. There is no overnight camping at warehouse beach, day use only. A bit further upriver is sand station, while there are no hook-ups it used to allow some limited over night camping, but that no longer may be the case. A word of caution about the bouys upriver from hat rock! use caution when approaching any of the islands and bays above hat rock, there are numerous reefs, the biggest is marked half way between warehouse beach and hat rock. there is a nice little bay on the east end of warehouse beach with a roped off swimming area. It's fairly deep and protected from the prevailing S.W. winds. Barge traffic in this area is usually quiet although the train traffic on the washington side can be pretty loud. For years, i've duck hunted the islands above hat rock, used to be pretty good but it has dwindeled in the last few years. Have had some good laughs watching unknowing hunting and bass boats try to fly across the bay only to rip off thier lower units on the reefs. Best night fishing occurs right above the dam. This is about a 4 mile run to hat rock. How about tying up to the docks on the oregon side? the dam provides a wind block. The only question is when COE pulls the dock for the winter? But I don't think that will happen for another month. Check with fear no fish, he has this fishing dialed in COMPLETELY! I think he lives in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sleep? We don't need no stinking sleep. Daylight is for sleeping, Night time is playtime for the Steelies. Since I have never slept there I cannot truthfully answer your question. I do not think you would have any problem getting some rest near either shore. Just move upstream from the trollers and bed down right next to shore. If you hear my Afghannie rebel yell it just means we have hooked up again! Will be out Wed., Thurs, Fri. and Sat. night. Give me a shout when you see me. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Another idea struck me! :shocked: Don't forget to power troll for walleye below the 395 bridge. Do that until 10 or 11 and then go up above the dam and steelhead. There are ramps on both sides of the river both above and below the dam. I'm serious about FNF! Find him, watch him, Do EXACTLY as he does.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will be my fourth year night fishing,we always pull out around 2 or 3 and drive home. which can really suck. frozen overpasses will wake the sleeping riders. just working on options. i've tied up at the docks on oregon side and its hard to sleep. that darn silo starts up at o dark thirty, duck hunter and early bird fishermen wired on starbucks talk real loud when grabbing gear. i slept in the parking lot last year but the lights were just to much. I've had IFISH change my name to match my boat, was Bumper_Chrome..Mooring bouy.... 5 or 6... sounds like the cats meow...up past the park?
Sam

[ 09-23-2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: NAUTI-NOTIONS ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts