IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
10,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to have a forum dedicated to the Traeger stuff :grin:

Quick question...I'm trying my hand at a boneless pork loin roast today and was wondering if you guys turn your meats at all when you're slow cooking them? I understand how the grill works but I guess i'm still an old fashioned type of guy.

My plan is to keep the digital thermostat set to 225 for the 1st hr, then turn the roast over, and do 225 for the 2nd hour. Switch to smoke, then do 30 min on one side, and flip...then 30 mins on the other side. Then i'll finish it off around 300 for the remainder of cooking time. Is this too much?? Am I overdo'ing it and making it too complicated??

To turn...or not to turn...that is the question?

-jokester

· Registered
851 Posts
I have heard that those Traeger's are not worth messing with. If you would like, I can swing by and pick that thing up from you...I can recycle it as scrap iron. :pp Sorry, I can't help you with your cooking problem, but I know that I want one! I have had the privlege of eating food cooked/smoked on one....you poor thing!! :food::food::food: Have fun solving your "problem"!

· Registered
5,621 Posts

Quick question...I'm trying my hand at a boneless pork loin roast today and was wondering if you guys turn your meats at all when you're slow cooking them? I understand how the grill works but I guess i'm still an old fashioned type of guy.

My plan is to keep the digital thermostat set to 225 for the 1st hr, then turn the roast over, and do 225 for the 2nd hour. Switch to smoke, then do 30 min on one side, and flip...then 30 mins on the other side. Then i'll finish it off around 300 for the remainder of cooking time. Is this too much?? Am I overdo'ing it and making it too complicated??

-jokester
To everything (turn, turn, turn)

There is a season (turn, turn, turn)

And a time for every purpose, under heaven

· Registered
3,252 Posts
i dont have a traeger but bbq about 4 times a week, i have always thought that the meat is most receptable to smoke during the first 20 minutes or so? so should you smoke first and then cook, like i said might be different on a traeger though?

· Registered
2,642 Posts
No need to turn the meat. Just place a thermometer probe into the center of the meat set at a temp. a little lower than your finish temp. Cook, smoke, what ever you want to do. Just keep the lid closed as much as possible. Once temp is reached remove and wrap in foil. Leave probe in place to keep juices from escaping. Let set for at least 20 min. This will allow meat temp to come up about 4/5 degrees and juices to settle back into the meat. Carve and enjoy! :food:

· Registered
12,221 Posts
You are making it too hard. Forget the times. Get the Traeger hot, stick the roast on, dab it with the sauce and seasoning, get it well marked, flip it over, same drill. Vary the temp with your own timeline (dinner soon --- more heat, etc.). Use a meat thermometer and when it hits the right temperature (about 170) take it off and serve after standing for about 30 minutes.

Actually I take it off at about 165, but take your choice.

The beauty of the Traeger is that you cook by meat temperature, not by time.

Flip it all you want too. Makes no difference.

· Registered
10,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are making it too hard. Forget the times. Get the Traeger hot, stick the roast on, dab it with the sauce and seasoning, get it well marked, flip it over, same drill. Vary the temp with your own timeline (dinner soon --- more heat, etc.). Use a meat thermometer and when it hits the right temperature (about 170) take it off and serve after standing for about 30 minutes.

Actually I take it off at about 165, but take your choice.

The beauty of the Traeger is that you cook by meat temperature, not by time.

Flip it all you want too. Makes no difference.
Thumper...makes sense. I see what you're saying...cook it by temp, not by time. I've still gotta set the timer so I don't forget to flip and spritz :grin:

Thanks for all the replies guys!! I just shot it with some 50/50 apple juice/water and it's looking and smelling WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! Come on 165 degrees :dance: I'll have to put up some pics tonight when I take it off! :food:

-jokester

· Registered
1,440 Posts
In the last 4+ years I can't actually remember turning anything on mine at all. I don't think it is necessary unless you are looking for visual effects. The Traeger cooks like a convection oven so there is really no need to turn unless one wants to.

On a side note and hope I don't steal your post Jokester, but has anybody tried a U-Bake pizza on theirs yet? I have heard about it so many times so we decided to do our first one on Monday night. Second one came quickly again on Wednesday night. WOW! I couldn't believe there could be that much difference in a pizza. These things are amazing!

· Registered
7,149 Posts
On a side note and hope I don't steal your post Jokester, but has anybody tried a U-Bake pizza on theirs yet? I have heard about it so many times so we decided to do our first one on Monday night. Second one came quickly again on Wednesday night. WOW! I couldn't believe there could be that much difference in a pizza. These things are amazing!
Yeah - Not sure why we have an oven in the house anymore. :D Pizza is great on the T.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Quick question...

-jokester
I have done a couple briskets and a half dozen pork butts in the trager now. I varied the pellet types for each. but pretty much once it was in there, I let it sit for the first 11 hours at about 250. than I stick a digital thermo with remote into the thickest part and watch the temps rise. They turned out very juicy thru and thru each time.

I hung out and watched several large smoking operations where they would do 20-40 large pork butts. Not once did they touch them for the first 10-12 hours.

· Registered
997 Posts
Thumper is right. The Traeger is VERY forgiving! Use the smoke and medium ranges though for roasts, for a nice slow cook.

I spent about a solid 45 minutes making Salsbury (sp) steaks on Tuesday night in the skillet. I took the extra hamburger that I thawed and made a few hamburger patties for last night. My wife did those on the Traeger in about 10 minutes.

I now proclaim: I will take a PLAIN hambuger patty done on the Traeger WAY before I will EVER spend 45 minutes to make seasoned up Salsbury steak.

The plain hamburger patty had WAY MORE FLAVOR!

· Registered
1,436 Posts
In the pellet pooper cook the pork to 185 degrees or more to be on the safe side. Internal temperature is the only safe way to judge if it is done. At 225 degrees it will take a long time to reach that temp. It will vary depending on the weight and thickness of the pork.

Good Luck;

· Premium Member
10,969 Posts
In the pellet pooper cook the pork to 185 degrees or more to be on the safe side. Internal temperature is the only safe way to judge if it is done. At 225 degrees it will take a long time to reach that temp. It will vary depending on the weight and thickness of the pork.

Good Luck;
I pull my pork at 140 degrees while it is juicy and has great flavor. I have not yet caught Trichanosis.

· Registered
10,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, for my 1st time, I think I dunn good :grin:

Slow cooked it at 225 degrees for about 7 hours, and when the meat hit 165 degrees I pulled it off. See for yourselves :food:

About 3 hours into it:

Finished product:

Now the trick is seeing if I can wait for the wife to come home before I start eating it :laugh: :dancingman: :dancingman:

-jokester

· Registered
12,221 Posts

Iwish is right! We routinely do pizzas, cookies, cakes, all kinds of meats, etc. When you cook on high, there is no smoke. My neighbor makes pancakes on his.

I have not had my indoor oven on since we bought the Traeger several years ago.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Now the trick is seeing if I can wait for the wife to come home before I start eating it :laugh: :dancingman: :dancingman:
If you are unable to wait.... Use the line my son does with his kids when he sneeks a taste of their treats... "I'm tastin' it for poison"

It looks like you'll be enjoying a nice dinner this evening.

:applause::food:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.