IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I purchased these rod holders to mount on both sides of my 2015 180 Sportsman. They came with nuts and bolts to mount on the sides. When I went to mount them on, there is a ton of flotation foam completely filling underneath the siding where I need to screw the nut onto the bolt. I tried removing the foam but four hours later I haven't even installed one nut/bolt yet. It seems very difficult to remove the foam. How does everyone remove the foam to install these rod holders on both sides? Or, am I fine just using a drill bit to tap initial holes and just using stainless screws rather than nuts/bolts from underneath? I'd rather not have to weld them on due to having to touch up paint around the welds. Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Hi everyone! I purchased these rod holders to mount on both sides of my 2015 180 Sportsman. They came with nuts and bolts to mount on the sides. When I went to mount them on, there is a ton of flotation foam completely filling underneath the siding where I need to screw the nut onto the bolt. I tried removing the foam but four hours later I haven't even installed one nut/bolt yet. It seems very difficult to remove the foam. How does everyone remove the foam to install these rod holders on both sides? Or, am I fine just using a drill bit to tap initial holes and just using stainless screws rather than nuts/bolts from underneath? I'd rather not have to weld them on due to having to touch up paint around the welds. Thanks for your thoughts!
Maybe a photo of your mounting location would help?

·
Registered
340 Posts
lm in the same boat with my 20' Searunner but after it comes home from getting a new boat top at Jerrys a in a couple weeks l have a solution.
Riv nuts; Drill a hole,insert riv nut, use the tool to expand it then thread in the bolts lm gonna use some 5200 as well to solid them up.
Looks like same rocket launchers even that l bought from a guy in Vancouver that makes them.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
Riv nuts work if you have enough meat on the base.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's a photo of what I want to do. As well as a photo of all the foam completely filling underneath the gunwale. The foam is about 9" thick underneath.
I'm having the same problem on my sportsman. I want to install a rod holder track but that foam is difficult to cut out. The guys at clemens where I got my boat said that self tapping screws are a good option, just make sure they aren't too long so they don't punture that tube in the foam with all your cables.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lm in the same boat with my 20' Searunner but after it comes home from getting a new boat top at Jerrys a in a couple weeks l have a solution.
Riv nuts; Drill a hole,insert riv nut, use the tool to expand it then thread in the bolts lm gonna use some 5200 as well to solid them up.
Looks like same rocket launchers even that l bought from a guy in Vancouver that makes them.
Man this turned out to be GOLD! Thanks for this advice. Bought the rivet gun tool and some stainless rivnuts on Amazon and received them today. It worked perfectly and saved me a whole bunch of time and money. Fantastic idea and highly recommend this to everyone. Thank you plhldrbus! 😁

1 - 8 of 8 Posts