IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making my last trip to Astoria tomorrow and I have yet to catch a Chinook. It is driving me nuts. Especially when I keep reading posts that basically say they had to weed through the chinook to get their limit of silvers. What the heck? Before I chalk it up to just being unlucky I thought I would ask one more question. What size herring is everyone using? I have just been getting the fresh stuff at Free Willy's and take what they give me. It seems to run around maybe "green" size? Should I buy some frozen blue or purple and try that? I will say that the other day I had the mother of all herring in one of my bags. It was a trophy for sure, should have mounted it :grin: . Anyway I plug cut it and went out about 25 pulls and within 10 min. had a monster takedown that didn't stick. Kinda made me go hmmm....So what do y'all think? Please someone help a brother out. This nook drought is killing me with all these pics I have to look at everyday
. Take care.

[ 08-28-2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Rimshot ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Dude use BLUE with and if you are running more than a couple rods stick one down with a purple... I never use greens unless I have to. I only use frozen as well... only fresh for sturgeon. Frozen brine up better. Here is a good brine receipe that works for me...

1/2 gallon of distilled water (do not use water from your tap it has additives that turn the fish off!)
About two cups of rock salt... add it in until it wont dislove anymore.
About two cups of powdered milk... shines those puppies right up.
1/3 cup granulated white sugar... salmon love sweets
1 bottle of anise extract you get from the store... 4 OZ I think
1 TBSP of blue food coloring

Mix all ingredents in a small cooler, big jar or tupperware and add your herring. It will really brighten them up, make them tough so they dont rip and make them smell like a steak dinner to a salmon!

Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Rimshot,

Last week we used fresh herring we got in Ilwaco. They were about green label size. We cut plug them and they were tiny. A friend was using purple label frozen, cut plug. When we were fishing where there were no fish, neither caught fish. Later in the week, when we got into fish, both sides of the spectrum caught big nooks, actually the small fresh cut plug were hotter. What seemed to be the big factor was flasher. Rods with the large size fish flash (triangle) went down much more often. Where were you fishing? We fished the WA side near Chinook. Email me and I'll give you details.

jpat

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anyone else use three hooks w/ whole herring? I've found it to be a killer setup!

Since you CAN use three I've been putting the 'stinger' out the back. The front two can bend the whole herring as much (or little) as I want while I don't have to lose the flapping of that thrid one in the fishies face!

Lots of the recent B10 fish had all three hooks in 'em. The stinger on top of their nose - in case the others worked loose.

Many have just the stinger in 'em, I figured it was short biters getting stung.

My tho'ts on the subject anyway.

- Reelist

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's interesting on how people brine their Herring, I've been just adding the salt and if I remember, the food coloring (which I havewn't all year) The one thing that I'm trying differant,(rather than mooching rigs) is a trble hook just behing the dorsal fin with a nose clip and a flasher.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I gotta think firm is the best. Never had much luck trolling around with empty hooks because those "fresh" herring were so soft they came off the hook shortly after they hit the water.

I use Brine 'n Bite (Pro-cure) on frozen herring and we get our share of the chinook we target. We either catch fish or pull in a rig with the herring still intact. No empty hooks.

Other methods also work as Pilar described on the Salty Dogs forum. You need something to firm up those baits so they will stay where you put them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
5-cents thank you for the info never brined before, I will save your note in my fish files. Couple of questions,
1. How long do they need to brine
2. After brine is done what to do with them, pack in ziplocks then on ice or just on ice?

I usually just use frozen packages put on ice and thaw a little cut plug it and hook it up and drop in water. :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts