IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was wondering if anyone could shed some light on thep roper technique in preparing the Herring for the perfect roll. What about the brine to toughen them up. Are there any easy answers?
I realize there could be a few different ideas on this subject. I'm sure there are other that are wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i like a med roll not a fast one and not a slow one i hand cut my bait.try diffrent trolling speeds and different rolls on different baits also very the leader and droper length :smile: put them in some water and a little rock salt just my $0.02 Quick Fisher :cheers:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
The best way if you are starting is to buy a plug cutter from somewhere like GI Joes. The one I have has detailed instructions. Once you hook up your bait the roll is determined by where you place the leading hook on the bait. The further toward the lateral line the slower the roll. Go more towards the top of the back on the bait the tighter the roll. Different rolls work on different days. If we are fishing more than one rod on my boat we will all have different rolls until we find one that is producing.

Spend the $5 for one of these and your herring fishing will be much easier!

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Pro Cure's Brine n Bite brine works pretty good, get the bait brightener too, it makes em shine really well. For my homemade version, I use distilled water, blue or green food coloring, coffee mate, rock salt, and sometimes a drop or two of anise liquid you get at the grocery store. Let em soak overnight and either throw them in the cooler or leave em in the brine while fishing. 5 cents recommendation on the plug cutter is right on the money. Sometimes they like the king roll and others the coho. Vary the placement of the top hook for a slower or faster roll and you should be in business.

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
how long before using them do you brine them? if you're going to store them, do you drain off the brine prior to freezing? is there a difference between rock salt and regular non-iodized salt?

[ 04-16-2003, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
93 Posts
In my experience, the plug cutter is one of key elements. I have a Master Plug Cutter the Blue one. They have them at Stevens Marine, Englund Marine and Garibald Marine. The cutter has two angles - use the sharper angled guide for Springers. The faster spin serves to attract fish. On Friday and Sat - we caught 3 fish each day on the Willamette. There is a red Master plug cutter that are tough to find but are different. Also, there was an excellent article in Salmon Trout and Steelheader on plug cut herring in the Jan 1992 issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
** Hook-Placement ** Is key.
When I run 3-4 Rods It's good to vary the speed
of the roll. Also you can't go wrong when using
a BLUE plug-cutter (master plug cutter)
It's the best one out there. You may want to try
a RED plug-cutter also.

Pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like plug cutting Herring, But for the less experienced fishers I like to use the Krippled Herring rigs. They are simple to use and your herring stays good longer. You can get them in different colors too. Krippled.com Pretty much all Fishing equipment stores carry them. They also have them for anchovies also. Great Product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts