IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys are trolling cut plug either in the ocean or B10, heck for springers even. Does the direction of the spin make a difference? :shrug: So, with my bait cutter, would the baits back or belly be facing me if I'm cutting right to left? Thanks fellow ifishers. :smile:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Northern Hemishpere (USA) counterclockwise.
Southern Hemisphere (Aus) clockwise.

Otherwise you make the fish dizzy & discombobulated! :tongue:

Full Freezer

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Does not matter if right or left is the long side, but make sure the top (or spine) is longer than the belly. If you leave the guts in, stand it up in the cutter. For guts out, lay it on it's side in the cutter. Better yet, fish it whole!!! :smile:

Green Machine

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
experiment with it!!!

i've only trolled herring a couple of times and i don't even use that silly cutter anymore. if you can fillet the species you're fishing for, you can cut a herring without a guide. hook placement is what determines roll. if you cut the long side to the belly and run the top hook out halfway between the top and the line on the short side of the cut, it would stand to reason that you'd get a pretty wide roll as long as you're not trolling too fast. i would leave the guts in; if you take them out you increase the risk that the flow of water will rip the belly.

a lot of folks think that certain species prefer a certain roll. pondering it here at my computer, i think water temp has more to do with it. sluggish fish, slow roll. rocket salmon, fast roll. really sluggish fish, really slow or reall fast roll.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Once upon a time, couple years back, we learned our lesson about "not" using a cutter.....we were on the Nehalem, one heck of an early september storm moving through. we went a big "O"fer the first day....talked to friends that were fishing with a prominent guide...(we didnt need no guide to catch salmon) they all had fish. Dang....they used a cutter and other secret measures. The next morning when the bait shop opened, we went in and sure enough he says..."you have to use this cutter".. that morn, 5 minutes on the water, 75 yards from the launch....30lber Bonk Bonk. Now I always use a cutter, if for nothing else...concistency. Russ

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If the fish are there it doesn't matter if you even cut them. I was using whole ones and they got torn up so I was just using mangled heads of hearing and catching them as well!!

YOu have got to love ocean fishing..... :cheers:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Lefty loosie, rightie tightie.

Just spin it.

Mark and the 7 pulls dog.

·
Registered
921 Posts
According to the pros

[ 07-27-2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: First Light Bite ]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by steelheadslayer:
.... So, with my bait cutter.....
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Why cut up a beautiful herring ? :shrug:

I have seen the light...run 'em whole (works good in the big pond)! Learn to apply Fishin' Mission's "Dance of Death" and you too will toss away the bait cutter.

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK, is Fishin' Mission going to tell all of us how to make the herring do the "Dance of Death"?
PLEEAASE.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I never cut them any more. Whole herring throw a bigger flash.

Direction of spin doesn't matter, speed of spin does.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My Kalama river Springer took a Sand shrimp and Orange corky! In his gut was a herring head! Are plug cutters chumming!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Steelheadslayer:
we use heering all the time, direction of spin dose'nt seem to matter what matters is the speed of the spin.seems to be slow roll for nookies,faster roll for silvers.I hav'nt used a cutter in years,and do just fine.good luck

·
Registered
480 Posts
Steelhead - insert the leading hook of a slip tied mooching rig into the herring's gillplate, roll the hook into the herring and exit in the flesh behind the gillplate. The shaft of the hook should now be in the bait with the hook eye lying flat against the herrings head. Tie the leader to against the herrings head using a threader (big long needle for threading bait). Work the trailing hook into the herring near the tail. You are now ready to put your friend "the bend" into your bait by sliding the front hook closer to the trailing hook. Experiment with amount of bend and placement of rear hook until you get the action you like.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I've fished herring alot, cut plug and whole. Whole in the ocean seems to be the trick, even works well at B10. Upriver though, I've found plug cut to be a little more effective, at least for me. I was just curious if direction of roll seems to matter at all. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I'm with Amperstat. If you know what the cut is supposed to look like you can do it yourself consistently without a plug cutter box. This also allows you to very the spin. By cutting less than a 45 from back to belly you can make it turn 'bigger circles'. Lengtening your leader can also help this. As far as consistency, a box will help, but modifying hook placement can make up for small errors when cutting.

As was said above, when the fish are in (esp. coho), they will hit just about anything.

We lost our box overboard two years ago and out of necessity, starting freehanding them. I haven't found a reason to go buy another one. :grin:

For newbies, the boxes are great. FWF1 showed me the art of 'brining' herring last year. Definitely something else to consider when looking for an edge. :wink:

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Whole herring all the way! I just fished for silvers once mooching little tiny fillets on 3/0 single hooks and they hit that regularly, but trolling, whole herring, sliding mooching rig. First hook in the mouth and all the way out through the gill plate, through one side of the fish and out the other about halfway down, then back in fish with shank and eye on one side of the fish and hook tip out the other side. Second hook goes down through the top of the head right in the sweetspot between the eyes. Tighten to desired bend. Tight lines- TOC.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Why all the fuss? :shrug: Those dang fish out there will hit just about anything. Including the chinook. Now if they are hitting short then you want the trailer hook attached to the fish. Otherwise I just let that sucker swing free behind the cut plug or whole herring.

Once in the river it is a little different story. Currents come into play and I like to run both hooks in the fishy. But being the ocean is open 7days a week I most likely wont be fishing the river much except to pick up the third fish inside for a limit. :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts