are the herring still in the bay
and do you think there will be in the bay these
weekend
and how is the crabing and bottom fising

thanks for any help

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
What's the set up for these? Can anyone shed some light on it for me? I was down there last weekend and wanted to give it a go, but didn't even know where to begin. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Last Saturday the crabbing was very slow. With 6 rings/traps trying various parts of the lower bay we pulled 12 legals in 7 hours. But it was still better than working!

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Danthefishman .. use a trout rod or steelhead rod. Sabiki rigs are available at S. Beach Marina store. I use two setups with 6 hooks each and a 3 oz weight. That way you are covering 10' of depth instead of just 5'.

Drive over to the green bouy by the CG station and boathouse. Incoming tide right before high slack is best. The bait seems to hang right by the green can and along the rock jetty at the S. Beach Marina. Any drop off holds fish. You will see many boats out there and you can catch bucket fulls if you work at it.

We use a 5 gallon pail. Put 3" of water and as much rock salt as will dissolve in it. When you get bait, just shake them off into the bucket by grabbing the hook. Don't touch the bait or let them flop in the boat. When they die in the water, carefully remove the baits and layer bait, 1/4" deep rocksalt and ice in a cooler. Leave the drain open.

When you are all done, top the cooler with ice and rocksalt on top of that. The baits will begin to freeze just like Ice cream. Back at camp, put 12 in a gallon bag with a little rocksalt roll it up and put it in the freezer.

This was the bait to use during the 6 Halibut days in May and we caught 9 fish in 4 days on my boat. All but the last day were boat limits and all fish were pretty big including Skein's monster 78 pound fish, my 60 pounder and BOE's 60 pounder. :grin:

[ 05-22-2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Pilar ]

·
Registered
834 Posts
You should note that Pilar said " Incoming tide right before high slack is best." I would check the tide charts and see when there is going to be an incoming tide before you go over there. Might be a disapointing trip otherwise. Perhaps Sunday or Monday would be better.
Just a thought, but it is the incoming tide that the herring fishing is at its best.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Captn, good to hear from you sir. I have caught them on the outgoing but it is very slow. Watch for a tall guy who darts out of the Marina on every high tide in a little open smoker craft. He beelines right to the green can and starts getting 10 at a time on the double rig I described above. When he shows up I know it is time to fish hard.

I call him 'Herring Boy'. Watching him, I learned pretty much eveything I know about the herring fishery. He then takes his live baits out to the S. Jetty and fishes for Lings.

Ahhh, the perks of living at the coast. Too bad being a dock rat does not pay better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts