IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know weather springers show up at Herman creek on the Columbia? Or is that just a fall Chinook and Silver fishery? Thought that might be a better spot to start the kids on some bobber fishing than the falls or the coast.

UG

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've had the same experience at herman creek as greenbuttskunk. If it's not the nets, it's the amount of boats in a tight spot. It can be very frustrating. The fall is the time to fish here.
good luck...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A lot of those fall fish in there are strays. I know there is a Steelhead hatchery, but it seems like I called once and the guy said even the Coho were strays. By strays I mean that they are headed up the Columbia River, but are drawn in by the cooler water (wouldn't be a factor in the spring). I am pretty certain there are no hatchery Chinook (Spring or Fall).

I know you could look up the hatchery number on the internet and call them to find out for sure.

The Wind has some bobber water for Springers, and so does Drano but there will be a lot of company at both.

What about the High Rocks hole on the Clack? I was there last Friday and 1 guy was there. Fish weren't either, but I used the opportunity to teach my dad. One guy said he'd been working that hole for 4 weeks/3 days a week with no takedowns. They will be though, and that spot can have some good mornings.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I don't know if any Springers pull in there but I would doubt it.

The only fish being raised at Herman Creek are Coho. No fish are released there. They are all trucked out, either upriver or down.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I've fished it in the fall, it was only steelhead and coho, I don't think it gets springers.
I had a horribly frustrating experience. I was standing out in the "hole" fishing when this native american rolls into the spot and drops a ton of net, zigzagging around, drops a ton of it. Pretty much ruined my day, most of us left in disgust. I'm not against them have the right to net, just in that manner, in such a tight spot and will all us sport fisherman standing there trying to catch a fish with hook and line.
Fall coho can be great there, and eggs below a bobber score big on steelies.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I dont think very many springers pull in there do to the colder water temps maybe. The Garbage Hole above Dodge Park is a good hole that you can pull right up to. It has big boulders and a sandy beach to fish from I take my 10 mnth old and fish here with him in my kiddy packer. It has been light with pressure sense coho season. I havent ran into any partiers either. Upper and Lower sections hold lots of steelies and in the middle its deep and boily with a shelf on the side you fish from, there is even better water if walk up which is very easy to do. Good spot to start the kids off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts