IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend we caught a few coho out of the Lewis river. We were only planning on keeping the bucks....already had plenty of eggs to get by for quite awhile. So, we netted this 16lber that I was positive was a buck...had a big hooked nose. I get it home and start cleaning, and realize what I thought was a buck was actually a hen.

So, my question is....is there any other way to tell the difference between the two other than the hooked nose? I still can't believe that fish was a hen.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Look at a fishes squirter, if there is a little pink pipe protruding, then its a hen.

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
ya what WRO said :cool:

Some times you gotta peek :shocked: :shocked: at the privates for a gender check. :wink: With todays fashions, and cross dressers, it isnt obvious right off what the sex may be :hoboy: It use to be you could look at a mans er I mean a bucks face and tell right off he was a he, but some of those girls like to look like dudes, and some of those limp finned guys like to look like girls :wink:

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Yes. When I first saw BOE in a pink tu tu, I could have sworn he was a she.

Then he opened his mouth, and I could tell he was a he.

I think I better stop now while I'm almost ahead.

Jen

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Jen, do you have PICs. It would be nice to have the ability to recognize the little elf when we see him or it out on the water... :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Giz won't wear his anymore, somethin' about his depends showing. :blush:

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
ya try to help somebody with some fish gender ID and you get flamed :hoboy:

Newtron 1
Jennie 1
Catch and Eat 1

BOE 0
Giz 0

But beware :wink: we are about to even the score up

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Roy, You're a good sport for a hen. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Flagrant Violations of the AUP!!!! Where are the mods when you need one. Probably hanging around the cleaning stations waiting for someone to discard eggs. :grin: :tongue:

Giz...

·
Registered
320 Posts
moley,
year before last, i caught a big coho at astoria that was going crazy. completely circled the boat, airborn many times. i get it to the boat and the hooked snout is very evident. i thought for sure it was a buck ... not. then last year i caught a huge nook that i thought was a hen ... not. it's not a s uncommon as one would think. i'll try to attach some pics.

tule buck and nook buck

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Yep, I got a big 'ol hook nose hen in the Lewis durring the Thansgiving flood of '96 and took pic's of it with the skein intact because I was in disbelief and wanted to show others.
My PC is in storage presently or I would have attempted to find the pic and post it.

Commin' out with some goofy hatchery fish these days.
Maybe it spent too much time at the Trojan nuke plant in kalama as a smolt. :shrug:

Good one ******!
Looked just like Roy Boy in that cartoon! :grin:

Dan

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
No pictures... just an old joke. :smile:

J

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
RICK!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: I believe it was two springer seasons ago before some flotilla that Roy wore the tu-tu. Think Giz had one too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
maybe the pictures will show up now that jenni has steered me in the right direction.
here's a big chinook buck with no hook, and a big silver hen with a hook.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
No way! That top pic can't be a buck!

I can buy yhe one below being a hen and have caught one that was probably more pronounced than that.

But that fish in the top pic had white eggs? :shocked:

Man I've read how screwed up hatchery fish are but the upper pic is of a wild chinook! :grin:
I'd have to see the white eggs come out of that baby to buy that one. :grin:

Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
i know, hard to believe. over 50 pounds of chrome bright, fighting like a torpedo on steroids, astoria chinook buck. probably in the best condition of any nook i have ever seen. can you say strong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts