IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh how I do love smoked Salmon. I have a few questions that I could use some help on.

In the past, I always smoke the salmon, let it cool a little, vacuum seal it and freeze it. I have pulled it out of the freezer a year later and it still taste great.

Is the freezing really required in order to keep it for a year?

Can you vacuum seal it and then just store it in the cold meat section of the fridge, how long will it last without freezing?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thats a good question? But I wouldnt take too much of a chance in it going to waste, if I couldnt eat it within 2 weeks or so I would just freeze it. No use in takin a chance on a lot of hard work.Ive also noticed that it loses very little taste after being frozen for a year but most of the time its not around that long!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, Usually it doesn't last that long around my house either.

Last fall was very good to me :grin: , so I smoked it all and saved a bunch for the holidays and when my parents came to visit from back east. :wink:

I am now smoking new fish I caught on the Rogue, I decided to clean out the freezer and what do I see :grin: :cheers: :grin: , 3 packages of smoked salmon from last year.

Had to eat those while I smoked the new stuff, tuff job but someone has to do it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Now im jealous! I havent had much fishing time this year to stock up on my supply {just bought a new house} B hopefully soon im gonna pack up my gear and find some action. Glad you did well on the rogue!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You must remember this. The vacume packing only prevents the air getting into the fish. I guarntee you that if you just store in the refrigerator it will spoil just like any other meat. Have you ever purchased a vacume pack of meat from a deli and left it unopened in the frige. Wont last long. Vacume pack and in the freezer, last at least a year and maybe longer. It also has a lot to do with what brine you used and how much of preservative it is. Salt,sugar, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
i may be wrong on this but the worst that could happen to it in the freezer is freezer burn. even freezer burned good smoked salmon is better than fresh smoked boot salmon and i've choked down fresh smoked boot salmon before (it really wasn't that bad but the spooky white color really freaked me out).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Unless you have a commercial grade sealer, the fish will only last about 5-6 weeks. I would seal it and freeze it if you want to keep it a year. Keep in mind that the freezer will draw moisture out of it however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts