IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a diver with a silver/red wee dik nite for the first time and did ok. I was catching as many or more than others around me. I was anchored in 15 ft water and was using a 20/20 diver. I would just float the diver back of the boat a ways then put the rod in a holder. I was never bouncing off the bottom and don't really know what depth I was fishing....but I caught fish during a slow period when not many fish were being landed. About a 4ft leader.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We did real good last night at Clackamette. Mainly on chartruese lures. Dick nites, grubs, any thing with chartruese seemed to work good ---ONCE WE MOVED THE THIRD TIME. Let my son pick the spot. Also it really picked up at about 7pm. The last 90 minutes we fished was almost continuous hook ups (4 rods in the water).

I use a spreader to help keep the leader and lead line from tangling. Also I keep the lead line longer than the leader thinking this will also help them from tangling. I was using about 36" lead and 30" leader lines. 6 oz weight. Just drop it to the bottom, bounce it back one time and stick it in the rod holder. If nothing happens in 5 minutes, pick it up and bounce it back another one or two bounces - stick in back in the holder. Do this about 4 times and then reel in, check your setup and start the process over. If nothing happens in 20-30 minutes change somethings either lures or position. You can easily move by letting out anchor line to back down into a new area that might be better - just watch other boats anchor lines behind you.

There were lots of boats last night at OC that were killin em.

Oh yea, the smiley's are "instant graemlins" that can be inserted using the "Instant Graemlins" area of the new post tool. :laugh:
:shrug:
:tongue: :rolleyes:

GU

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What can I say.
So far in the last few hours I have gotten more info than I have in the past month. I hope you folks realize how much this is appreciated.
I am shocked with the responce. We cannot put these tips to use for about 2 weeks but I will continue reading all of the great responces and learning as much as possible until the next time on the water. Once again this is all very much appreciated.

Thanks sled19

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
sled19,
It is customary for new people to tell a story as an introduction................

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Havent been part of ifish very long only a few days. What type of story would you like me to tell. I do have a few as I'm sure many people do.

I have sturgeon, salmon, steelhead, trout,
and my favorite stories about taking kids fishing.

sled19

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Any story will do, this is our way of getting people involed with contributing to the board and not just utilizing it for tips and such. Although, where your request seem sincere others are just lurking and looking for info not wanting to contribute. A hardy welcome in advance and look forward to your story of choice.

JK

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If the above suggestions don't get you into fish here's a few more that can make a world of difference: Switch to a bit lighter weight 2-4 oz in the OC area and keep back bouncing until you've let quite a bit of line out then reel in and try again - we consistently outfish others when the fishing is slow using this method because you are finding the fish; use a flourocarbon leader, 6lb test; try some scent (shrimp, anchovie, whatever).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Fish out in front of Clackamette Park in the current. Start out with a 2.5-3' dropper and a 3' leader. A small 1/32 jig with a green mini grub will catch em. If you can't get them up close bounce back, sometimes you have to go wwwwwaaaaaayyyy back. Use a short stiff rod that you can feel each bump with and set the hook and every strike. You'll catch more shad than you can use.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Use the tips everyone has gave you and go out of the Camas boat launch and go up river a ways in the shallows. You'll have a hay day.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Green grubs with green jig head hooks. They love it. :smile:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Fairly new to fishing in these parts,
everyone says shad is a kick in the pants. So I would like would like to take my boy out for the day. Only one problem I have no idea were or how to get started. We tried all day Sat & Sun. and must have moved 10-12 times each day with no luck.We saw plenty boated. But nobody was talking about the what's or the how's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I would also be more than happy to report back with the results if any helpers would like any reports.

One more thing what are the smiley
faces about and how do you
use them

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Well you did the right thing to move, shad seem to follow a particular path sometimes, like a freeway. 10 feet either way and you're out of the numbers of fish. Move right a boat who is doing really well, just make sure to be courteous and give them lots of room, and watch for their anchore rope. Depth is also key. I like a 3' dropper, 4-6oz. of weight and a 4' leader. Tie on a chart.silver dick nite, flo. red, all gold, or all silver. Green grubs work good too, as well as a small gold swivle with a siwash hood attached. You want to have the lure about two feet of the bottom.
Drop it behind the boat, back bounce till it hold and put the rod in the holder. Wait for the rod to bounce, then just reel then in. Helps to just watch others techiques. I know how frustrating it is when others around you seem to catch tons and you're not, answer is either location, depth, or lure color. They are finicky with color, so bring and assortment. Try the clackamette area, it's usually a good bet.

[ 05-27-2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I suggest you do a search on shad, there's a lot of threads about gears and where to fish for them.
I went to Bonneville dam couple days ago and managed to get about 20, that was fun.

[ 05-27-2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: The Fishing N00b ]

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Well my favorite story is about my favorite fishin buddy. My son. Two years ago he asked me to take him fishin like he does every day. So being short on time that weekend we went to a spot close to home. My brother had my boat and most of my gear, so the only rod handy was my dads super stiff mooching rod with the old penn 209. No matter fishin is fun how ever you can do it. We got to the spot Tied on a #12 gold egg hook a bobber with a chunk of hand dug worm and then commenced with the fun. He caught a few bass,two trout, and loads of sun fish. But when his float went down he lifted his rod and it didnt move. So he he laced into it again to try to bust it loose. Thats when we found out there was an 18 pound chinook on the other end. He reeled by him self. He does not like help reeling any fish in. So when he started running out of steam he put the rod over his shoulder and walked up the bank. The fish rolled on its side and slided up on the bank. I have never seen such a smile on his face unless it was even wider when he held the fish to show mom. Because of that day I cant go fishing with out him. Whats even better is now I have two fishing buddys my boy and my daughter. My boy and I are waiting for my daughters turn at her first big fish.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
thanks for all the good tips. look forward to meeting some of you out on the water. Most of the time I am in a 19 foot sled. but lately it has been a red hard top thunderjet. Stop by if you see us I'm sure someone is around the O.C. area

1 - 16 of 16 Posts