IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2 cannon sport troll downriggers.Are they big enought to use in the ocean? How heavy of a weight should I get? What other things do I need. (release clips) what kind. I got these for $99.99 each?
Thanks
Ron

[ 08-18-2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: trap50 ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I also like the Scotty releases, but the ones made by offshore are really good too (medium releases in the yellow package). I'd go with the 12 lb. balls - in a good current, they really plane out behind the boat if they are any lighter. Also, you should get 250 feet of cable. If you want to fish near the bottom in 175 feet of water, you'll need over 200 feet of cable to get down there while trolling.

Oh yeah - several times I've had silvers come up and take a whack at the chartruese tip on the scotty releases when they are hanging next to the boat. I should probably just clip the hook right in the release and put them down about 2 feet for silvers :laugh:

[ 08-18-2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Trap50

When you mount the downriggers on your boat, set them along the sides as far back to the stern as possible where you will still have good access. I learned this one the hard way. After mounting my downriggers where I thought was a convient location, I had to move them back after one time out fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts