IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem a little strange, but is there anywhere in Portland metro to get a WA fishing license? :whazzup: I'm going up to the Cowlitz tomorrow with a friend and don't want to have to drive to Van to get a tag this evening. I will if I have to, but don't really want to drive clear up there for one. If I can't get one here, where can I go there to get one. I don't know Vancouver at all, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!! :grin:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Nope, no WA licenses in OR- Might be a WA minimart/gas station/bait shop that opens at odark thirty that can sell you a day license up there though. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You will have to come to Vancouver. They don't authorize out of state agency's to sell them.

If you are on the east side, Take 205 NB and take the MillPlain exit. Head East about 3 miles on Mill Plain and GI Joes will be in a shopping mall on the right (south side of road). There is also a Hi-School Pharmacy in that shopping mall that also sells them.

If you want to go I-5, take the 99th St exit and head West on 99th. Go about 1/4 mile and you will see an Albertson's on the right. In behind the Albertson's is a Hi-School Pharmacy and they sell them also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
I guess I better get on the road before traffic gets too out of control.
So any suggestions as far as what is working on the Cowlitz? :smile:

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
If you haven't left yet, and you're on the East side, the easiest is to just go to Fred Myers, take that Mill Plain east exit and it's immediately on your right once you get off the freeway. If you want tips for the Cow, you might go to GI Joes and ask there, if no one provides info here- I'm in hunting mode myself.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Silly Girl,

On second check the WDFW site says:

Before you proceed with purchasing an Internet license, please note that it will normally require 5-7 business days to receive your license documents in the mail. This means that if you are planning to go fishing and need a catch record card for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, Dungeness crab, or halibut, park in an area needing a Vehicle Use Permit or if you are planning on hunting big game or Turkey in the next 10 days, you will not have the proper documents in your possession and should consider purchasing your license through a local license dealer."

Seems strange that they aren't more strict in the language about the catch card (you *should* consider....instead of you must). You probably have no choice but to makle that trip up there. There's a list of retail outlets on the WDFW site (http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/cgi-bin/database/lic_dealer.cgi) and probably a few on the way that would be open very early in the am.

Good luck!

WLW

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
There is a bait shop near the Cowlitz that opens early. We have purchased our licenses there several times over the years.
It used to be Andy's Bait 360-864-6015. It's up near the barrier dam and hatchery.
It has changed names and owners but I know it is still open.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Fisherman's Depot in Woodland opens early in the spring and summer. Not sure what their fall hours are though. Easy to get to off I-5 on the way by. Their tel # is (360)225-9900.

Good luck up there and report back.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmmmmmm.......
I think I'm just going to get it tonight. I don't want to take the chance of being up there and not being able to just get out of the truck and go fishing. Besides, I don't think my buddy Tuna Tom would appreciate me having to jack around looking for a place to get my tag and stuff.

Hey thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it. :bowdown: :grin:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
One more spot that is a little closer on I-5: Take the 78th St Exit and head East. Take a right on 99th and there is a Fred Meyer right there. It is a little closer than the Hi School Pharmacy. You can also see the Fred Meyer from the Freeway.

[ 10-16-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: finclipped ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
there's a place in just after Woodland that's open at 5am sharp, they can take care of you.

orange spinners have been working well....

·
Registered
399 Posts
The Barrier Dam store sells licenses. So does Fish Country ther both are on you way to the cowlitz and will also be able to give you the heads up on whats working. My dad has been doing really well with plugs as well as Cowlitz cocktails behind a diver.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Someone mentioned the barrier dam but that is 40 minutes or so past Longview and a long ways out of the way if you are fishing right here in the town of Longview or Castle Rock.

Fishing was rather poor on the lower river yesterday and I fished hard from 7:05am to around noon and never had a single take. Unbelievable.
Saw only two possible fish roll. Don't know what's up with that!

Heard the Elocoman got water and fish so went up there in the afternoon and caught 3 coho's and missed two or three all on eggs. Got a 13# bright buck and a ten pound hen between 4:30 and 5:00 PM.
It was almost too easy and I was kinda dissatifisied that it was all over when I just got started.
Today the Elocoman was blown out.

Might go and fish the Cowlitz for awhile this afternoon but suspect things haven't changed yet after eating breakfast at Charlie's and seeing not one fish roll. But on the other hand, they got to show up in numbers sometime! And sometime soon (it's that time, but not late by any means).

If you haven't left yet you are wasting time and fuel by traveling to Vancouver tonight as there are several places to buy fishing license in the morning hours before it is light enough to fish here in Longview and other places like Vancouver and Woodland as mentioned.

I'll place a report on the Cowlitz tonight.

Dan

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Fishermans Depot...open at 5am? or maybe 5:30am Exit 22 northbound I-5. take first right after exiting offramp. :wink:
No lights, No traffic...Easy in and Easy out!! :grin:

[ 10-16-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I ended up going up there anyway. :shrug: It's my kind of luck that none of the stores would be open and I'd be stuck not being able to fish. :rolleyes: Again, thanks for all the helpful info. I knew I could count on ifish people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts