IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lined up a boat and would really appriciate any info on were a rookie could go and get into some of these big fish.I used to be pretty proud of my 34 inch steel head but man you guys are blowing me away.I cant ever guess what 40+ pounds of upset fish feels like please help.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Tillamook Bay is probably your best bet. Spend a couple years learning the tides and channels, what to fish where and when, how to detect a slack line spinner bite, etc.

Or, you could do yourself a favor and hire a guide. Any of the ifish guides would be a great starting point. Bobber fish? Hire any of the Amerman crew for a day or Len Self. Money well spent if you do not have the fishery dialed in.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I second what Crabbait says.

The first time I went to Tillamook during the rodeo season I was overwhelmed. I thought there had been a wreck up by the Oyster House launch until I realized it was just the sheer number of rigs backed up waiting to put in. Then there's the shallow sandbars, narrow channel, and pilings that appear magically when the tide starts moving out.

And I didn't even begin to address anything about the etiquette of the whole thing.

It's a great fishery, but a guide can really make it happen and save you a lot of frustration (and grief).

Besides, these guys are a kick to fish with.

Skein

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try fishing on the Columbia we still have a bite going on there. This last weekend we caught 5 Chinook all URB, with a total of 8 takedowns. Go upriver from the Lewis about 2 miles and anchor on the Washington side in about 52 feet of water. (outgoing tide) Use Brads Wobblers. All the fish were URB ranging from 25~35 pounds. You will see some of the hog lines there. Good Luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yea, I agree with the others. If you don't know the Till bay get a guide or go out with someone experienced. Otherwise, if you are looking to get into fish on your own the easiest way would be going to the Columbia and hitting some of those fish. There are no trolling techniques you would have to learn just go out on a outgoing tide and anchor up where they explained in a previous post, sit back and wait for the takedown.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
But of course if you are like most people and are on a tight budget and can't afford to to pay $150.00 pluss a 15% tip you can put in real early at Memaloose Boat Launch on upper Tillamook Bay and spend a couple hours before, during and after each slack tide trolling spinners. The crowd of boats can be pretty intimidating so be ready for that. Don't be afraid to try the shallower flats around the mouth of the wilson, down towards Cap Johnson's and up into the Tillaook River when the tide is in.

We did pretty good out there last Saturday. Hooked 7, 4 to the boat and lost 3. Biggest one was a chromer of 35 -37 lbs right at high slack. two of them were silvers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts