IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliffs notes: The wife an I have been thinking about retiring...anywhere in the world. She floated Costa Rica and I be all like "hmmm...I think that's the best sailfishing in the world". So what are MY other options?? Preferably somewhere with great healthcare and reasonably nice but certainly somewhere with great fishing...Costa Rican fishin would be the ocean and I wouldn't mind having a big ocean boat and playing the big boy game. I trust iFish with everything>>>now feel free to change my entire life :)
Thank you

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I’m moving to Panama in 5 years. Go to YouTube for some great vids.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Lots of people think Costa Rica is good for fishing and healthcare. I don’t have health issues though. If you want warm, you could do worse. Seems you want to be out of the USA in warm climates, I’d also look at Belize.

Another option is live in two places, one in Summer and one in Winter. If that is an option, I’d include a trout fishing area or Flathead Lake in MT for the summer.

If you hunt, than maybe MT is good almost year round.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ecuador has Health care and inexpensive living. The fishing is under developed versus Panama or Costa Rica. It has a wide diversity nearshore and offshore with the Humbolt current bringing nutrients close to shore. One of most under rated wahoo fisheries. The sport fleet is limited so a good opportunity for a gringo with knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the intel!! I do love where I currently live but it appeals to me to try something different. Greener grass…maybe? How’s Portland looking these days:oops:
I only fish to kill time between hunting seasons so I’d be back in the states October and November!!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks for the intel!! I do love where I currently live but it appeals to me to try something different. Greener grass…maybe? How’s Portland looking these days:oops:
I only fish to kill time between hunting seasons so I’d be back in the states October and November!!
Okay, my reply was a bit of me being a smart a$$. While the NW has its issues, fish are to be had year round. While places like Costa Rica might have better offshore fishing and better weather, they don't have what we have.

Springers are the best fish ever, then ocean rock fish and halibut, then ocean salmon and tuna, then fall salmon . . . Take a break to hunt, then steelhead. Rinse, repeat.

I agree, Costa Rica has better weather, but you didn't ask about weather.

As for Portland, GTFO!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
if fishing was only consideration, gulf coast somewhere around Tampa. that said, I would not live in Florida for free- way too crazy people and politics. But the year round fishing is unreal

·
Registered
927 Posts
My wife has a friend that has a place in Belize, she and her Husband fly down about once a month to their place. They plan to retire there, he is self employed and is a contractor. Talking with them this past weekend they love everything about the country, but getting things down there can take weeks. They take what they need with them on trips, shower heads, light switches, things to repair maintain the house. It's a diferent world, cant just order on amozon and have it in a few days. Something to think about and research about central america when looking at a property and keep in mind what you'll need and how to get it there to make it a home. Good luck to you on your next chapter,,,gregg

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Oregon is gonna keep me busy catching fishes for the foreseeable future. People move HERE for the fishin... I think as our offshore fishery gains recognition, and deservedly so, that will only increase. Unfortunately our quiet little fishin ports are kinda doomed to be madhouses.

·
King Lingcod
49,753 Posts
I have to plug South Beach but the ramp is a mad house on the weekends. If your boat was moored year around you would have a blast down here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts