IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in going to a 80 jet from a 50 prop. I called Stevens and ask about going with a 2 stroke or 4 stroke and what is going to happen in 2005. They told me it is 2006 and the 2 strokes that are out there will be grandfathered in. So here is my question. If I get a 2 stroke now, will I have to get a 4 stroke in 2006? Also, will I be able to operate my boat in rivers, lakes and off shore waters :whazzup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
M.Russ1

More than likley you will be able to oporate your two-stroke motor come two thousand six. However if your looking to purchase a new two-stroke in two thousand six you may not find what your looking for. Only certin two-strokes that meet the EPA standards will be allowed to be built and sold in the U.S. Very simiular to how threee wheelers were phased out of production several years back. As far as running an older two-stroke in waterways, so far around here, no water that I know of is banning the use of two-strokes, in California some lakes are however. Although the two-strokes are a bit cheaper in most cases, I would reccomend going with a four-stroke anyway. In the long run the fuel efficiency will pay off the money you save buying a two-stroke in the first place. I would reccomend going down to North River in clackamas, they are very knowledgable and would give you a great deal on a motor, I was very pleased to have done business with them when I was in your same situation.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the 2006 rule is for motors that are sold after 2006. and it there will still be 2stk motors
they will just have to meet the new requirments

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
It is very unlikely that you'll have to switch to a 4 stroke then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts