IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so maybe I'm not hitting rocks, but my 1994 Evinrude 115 outboard jet keeps acting like it is. Starts and runs great until you get it at full speed. It will run great for a few minutes and then all the sudden it acts like you hit a rock :whazzup: , fliping the motor up, but there is no damage, and I'm in 75ft. of water. I'm only guessing here, but could the motor be sliping into neutral and acting like I'm hitting something, or is the motor backfiring and causing this? It' not real critical, but my wife keeps questioning my driving skills, which aren't all the great anyway. :shocked:

Thanks,
Trent

·
Registered
109 Posts
GasLockey
I too had this problem on my jet and what I found out was the the gear linkage was actually slipping just a bit and allowing the "cup" to actually go into reverse. I added a bungee cord on my tiller handle to keep the linakage arm in the forward position and I never had the probllem again...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. Kinda thought that's what was happening, but wasn't sure. At least it's and easy fix.
Thanks again,
Trent

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Trent, dont you know you shouldnt run up the clack right now? :grin: Actually i have seen a few guys have to do the bungee thing with thier outboards. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by fishing is life:
Trent, dont you know you shouldnt run up the clack right now? :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">So James, someone told me I should lube the linkage. Any ideas where I could pick some up?

Trent

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had the same problem on my 50 merc. A little rubber hose (surgical cord or something like it) around the tiller that I can just slip over my forward/reverse knob solved the problem. Stays on the tiller full time and never lose it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I run a bungee so I won't ever have the problem. I did see the same thing once on an Evinrude, and the guy told me his bungee had broken that morning. I guess that will probably fix it for you...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts