IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I don\'t have reverse

I have an 8? 40 hp Suzuki. I run it off controls and today at Green Peter it stopped going in reverse. (fishing was slow today btw). As I would shift towards reverse the gears would grind. Not wanting to do more damage playing with it I brought it home on the kicker.

Now I got it home and thought maybe it was a linkage adjustment problem so I unhooked the linkage and began working the shifter on the motor. At Forward it is in forward, at nuetral it is in forward, in reverse it is in neutral and if I push really hard and hold it in reverse it will engage reverse. This is with the shifter on the motor so it isn't my linkage. There are several "features" like not being able to start in gear and a "neutral rever" that all work when the shifter is in neutral, like they are supposed to, so it is just the motor that is off sync with the shift knob.

Can anyone offer advice? I am a solid motor mechanic but have never figured out all the inter workings of a boat motor. Could it be something in the lower end? Is there an easy way to get the two in sync again?

Thanks in advance. (If someone in the Salem area is inclined I could trade some crabbing/detroit/?? trips for some hands on help.)

[ 10-26-2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Grits ]

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Re: Help. I don\'t have reverse

Do outboards have syncro's like transmissions?? whatever mechanism is helping to slow down those gears to make them mesh...that should be the problem..or linkage stuff inside :shrug: I'm no doctor...don't even play one on TV so..i might be wrong. :whazzup:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
491 Posts

I bought a new boat and outboard a couple years ago and took it to the river to test everything out. Started the motor at the dock and tried the shifter out. Reverse worked and that was all. Took it back to the shop and on this motor somebody forgot to hook up the linkage between the powerhead and lower unit. About halfway down the shaft on the front of the housing was a connector that ties the shift linkage to the lower unit. This had to be connected and adjusted so forward, reverse and neutral all worked properly. Don't know if this is your problem but might be worth checking. Good luck.

treegolfer

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts

that's going to need to go to the shop unless you're very mechanically inclined and own the shop manual. i'm guessing the problem is in the transmission but that's just a guess.

·
Premium Member
22,117 Posts

I'm so mechanical that I sometimes resort to WD-40 on machinery instead of bait...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts