IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So reeltrouble and I spent about 45 minutes out on the water today, in between other activities. Anyway, we hooked for shad, or they grabbed the lure, and shook, squirmed, dove, until we touched the rods, then nothing. Just like magic, now you see him, now you don't. What's the trick, seems like with their papery mouths you lose quite a few, doesn't seem like I remember starting the last few seasons 0-4. You think let them play until the turn and run with it, or slight hook set, or pick up the pole and start reeling? We were using dick nights today, FYI. A ok bite, just not a great hook. Thanks, TOC.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I use mono for a mainline, tied to a spreader, add a rubber snuber as a shockabsorber and then the leader to your lure. No hookset needed just pick up and fight the fishy.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have mono everything now. Last year I didn't start the season with a rubber snubber, but we were still vastly effective, today I didn't have one on, and I said, we missed four. I'll try friday. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Use a light-weight rod with a lot of whip to it, don't set the hook, they will hook themselves. Have been having good luck using gold flickers or gold/silver dick nites. Haven't had to use a snubber, yet haven't been losing any so far. Good luck!! :cheers:

G

·
Most of the hooks on the Dick Nite's, Triple Teaser's or Jig Heads are straight siwash type hooks.

Take your needle nose and just very slightly bend the lower end (at the curve of the hook point) of the hook to one side, from the shaft of the hook.

Kinda loose drags in the rod holder and no salmon hook sets. Horse em' and they are gone too.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts